Thread: BT4 Beta USB Life Expectancy

Just burned his ISO

Default BT4 Beta USB Life Expectancy

Just curious to know what the life expectancy of a BT4 beta USB installation with persistent changes should be? I know some NAND flash will sustain up to one million read/writes, but how intensive is such a BT4 beta installation on flash memory?

Though flash memory is cheap these days and a new installation can be easily adapted to a new flash drive, I would like to retain a single installation for as long as I could without suffering data loss or corruption. What I do now is simply backup my needed data to a permanent location just in case one day the installation decides to stop working.

I also run a BT3 Final installation on a solid state IDE drive in my laptop and have yet to experience any form of data loss, corruption or bad sectors and that installation has been utilized for roughly 8 months now. Though the solid state drive does utilize wear leveling, which I am uncertain if my particular (or any for that fact) USB device utilizes which would sustain the installation on it for a greater length of time.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Thank you.

Usb drives use wear leveling as well. I wouldn't put a swap file or partition on one though. I've been playing around with operating systems on flash drives for a few years now and haven't seen one die yet.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

I've had one die, but I also used fairly well. I just got myself one of these - they are fairly cheep and only needs 1 usb cable, no external power.
    Western Digital 320gb Passport
    - Poul Wittig