Thread: How to uninstall KDE completely from BT4?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question How to uninstall KDE completely from BT4?

Hi, I would like to know what is the best way to completely remove all traces of KDE from BackTrack. I am using VMWare Fusion on a Mac and my goal is to use the least space possible and Fluxbox instead of KDE for a faster desktop.

The majority of the security tools included in BackTrack are command line tools anyway so for me it does not make sense to have a bulky desktop experience in order to use the terminal.

Does anybody know of a script or a reliable way/method of removing KDE?

Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by gadz1 View Post
    Hi, I would like to know what is the best way to completely remove all traces of KDE from BackTrack. I am using VMWare Fusion on a Mac and my goal is to use the least space possible and Fluxbox instead of KDE for a faster desktop.

The majority of the security tools included in BackTrack are command line tools anyway so for me it does not make sense to have a bulky desktop experience in order to use the terminal.

Much appreciated.
    I can't help wondering where the howto is in this thread.

This section is for posting howto's not requesting them.

Moving

Quote Originally Posted by gadz1 View Post

Much appreciated.
    apt-get remove kde.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

synaptic package manager (or aptitude it's Command Line Equivelant) in BT4 should have a nifty "--purge" function.

Code:
    apt-get remove kde --purge
    should do nicely
    otherwise
    Code:
    apt-get purge kde