Thread: Restoring KDE Backtrack menus

Just burned his ISO

Default Restoring KDE Backtrack menus

I have a hard drive install of BT4, and I recently tried updating KDE to KDE 4 (apparently a bad idea, since I could not get anything to work), then I just got rid of it and got KDE 3 back. I had some problems getting it to start, ended up getting kdm since I didnt feel like screwing around with startx (startx would only start fluxbox or something). When I finally got it working again, the only major problem I had was this: Under the "Backtrack" menu, only "Information Gathering", "Vulnerability Identification", and Conky remain, and they only contain the detectable software (Maltego and SAINT).

I saw another thread describing this sort of situation for fluxbox and how to restore the menu off the live CD - but KDE menus have always confused me. Where should I go to restore the full KDE Backtrack menu? Or is there an easier way than that to get the full menu back?

Note: I saw many "menu" packages in the repository, but I tried re-installing a couple but it did not appear to have any effect.

Thanks in advance.

Good friend of the forums

wow what a trip man!
    now, of course you can restore the menu, but.. knowing that your system is probably in a huuuuge mess right now, I would suggest a reinstall. You could have replaced much more than just kde.. say kernel, core programs, settings, etc...

Just burned his ISO

Yeah I suppose its easier that way - just did that (well, halfway, didn't wanna overwrite root boot and lilo) and it works again. Thankfully all that needs to be reconfigured is X.

Thanks for the advice.