Thread: Now I'm confused

Hybrid View

Default Now I'm confused

For those of you who don't know what I'm doing, rather than explaining it all,feel free to check out this thread: http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...642#post127642

In a nutshell, I am attempting to set up a nirtual network using VMWare Workstation. I have one server running Windows Server 2k3 R2 and one Client running XP Home Sp3.

Now in order for me to properly administer my network, I believe I need to set up both computers to access the internet, I have the server set up to be a DHCP server, to assign an Ip to the other VM.

according to a guide I found online and a friend's instructions, both machine's need to be setup to use bridged networking, and I have turned this on, but with this setting, neither computer has internet access. Normally that would not be a problem except I'm specifically trying to set up a DHCP server.

Now, what I'm thinking is that I need to set up the server to use either bridged networking or NAT to get it's IP and then I need to figure out how to put the second machine on the first Machine's network(I'll be working on that after I get this issue fixed, don't worry about it, unless you would like to share some ideas, they would be appreciated), so it can assign that computer an IP. i think I have to be careful, because I do not want VMWare to assign the IP.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

How many network cards to the VMs have?

I have 2 NIC's on my local machine, one is connected by ethernet to a router(no other machines on the physical network). As for the VM's, I see three connections one each for bridged , host and NAT connections (VMNet 0,1, and 8 respectively).

Update: I have both machines set up to use NAT, the client works fine, its using an ip assigned by VMWare, which isn't what I want but its a start. The server is still attempting to use the local machine's IP, which of course isn't working for obvious reasons.

A reasonable solution would be to add the server to the client's network, but I have no idea how to do this.

Sorry for the double post, here's where I am right now. i'm dropping XP Home for Pro, so I can effectivly use domains an user groups ect.

I've set up VMWare to act as the DHCP server for now, I don't like it, but it gives me a network segment to work in.

So Tonight i'm going to install XP Pro on a client VM, and figure out how to add it to the subnet. I'm not sure how i'm going to accomplish this, I think I can set the networking type on the client as Bridged and set a static IP from the VMWare server subnet. Does that sound right?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

You should probably get a better understanding of how vmware works in regards to networks. There is a huge pdf that has lots of info from vmware. If you have trouble finding it let me know.
    Nat is going to share the address of the host machine. So in essence what comes into the host may be available to the guest.
    Bridged will give your networks a separate address in any network range you choose. So if the host is 192.168.1.100 you can have the guest run as 192.168.1.101.
    And for host only mode the guest will not be able to communicate with anything other than the host itself.

Up to three virtual network cards can be configured in each vm.
    There are also nine virtual Ethernet switches, designated as VMnet0 - VMnet8, that exist within the PC. Workstation 2.0 only supported four virtual switches. Each switch can connect to one or more virtual network cards. By default, some of the VMnet switches have specific functions: VMnet0 is dedicated to bridged mode, VMnet1 is dedicated to Host Only mode, and VMnet8 is for NAT (Network Address Translation) mode. The others, VMnet2 - VMnet7, are available to be used by the VM when using Custom networking mode.

Hope that helps.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Good friend of the forums

Don't know if your using windows or linux for the host, but on windows you could try setting up ICS, and the option in VMware that a guest gets it own IP, from the host.
    The host will act as the router, giving out IP.
    Sorry turn off DHCP on the router, and the win2k3 box will supply the IP, if it is on the same IP range as, by going from the guest to router then back to winXP

Router-----host------|

Hope you understand what I mean