Thread: need Advice on software requirement

Just burned his ISO

Smile need Advice on software requirement

i am given the responsibility of taking care of a computer at my office that has just got an internet connection. seniors want me to take care of what ppl browse, office time they spend on the web, who is screwing up the computer , and so on....are there any suggestions for any kind of user monitoring / management software. the comp has a xp sp3 for ease of use . thanks in advance

Default xp mmm

xp mmm...I believe Windows, no?

In an office environment you should not monitor lest you have permission first such as through signed agreements or terms of use reflected agreements.

If there is really a problem with excess use, send an internal memo to restrict activity and place the computer in a central location.

This really is not a bt issue.
    Lux sit

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

NetNanny should do the trick.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    In an office environment you should not monitor lest you have permission first such as through signed agreements or terms of use reflected agreements.
    Actually, that's very country specific. In the UK it may be illegal, but in the US the courts have ruled that the computer and its contents are the company's. In fact, depending on the industry type, monitoring may be required under the law. Bottom line: The OP should check the applicable laws for his locale.

As far as monitoring goes with XP, there are several things you can do. If this is XP Pro, you can do a fair amount. (XP Home is useless in a business setting.) Start off by enabling the security logs in the management. If it is a AD or even a simple WinServer domain, you can do a lot more.

As blackfoot said, this isn't really a BT issue, and there are plenty of fora devoted to Win and Win Server domain security, so you might be better served by searching the web.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Smile

blackfoot and thorn, thanks for your views. i understand the need to be careful in what we do especially with many tools and tuts available around but in my case as thorn put it, it is a official requirement to ensure official stuff does nt go out, ppl dont pick in viruses and other malware from web to intranet computers, ppl are not wasting time on web during working hours, contents being downloaded or uploaded keeping in mind the data the company fiddles with.......so on. secondly, i posted this query in this sub- forum becoz it said "General IT discussion" and also becoz my googling for a monitoring software led me to loads of commercial ones but nothing that i could download and try out.

tHaNkS sTreaker, shall spend some time with Nanny. thank u ppl

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    This really is not a bt issue.
    Thats why this is a "General IT Discussion" forum.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."