Thread: BT3 Dual Boot on 1 Partition

Just burned his ISO

Red face BT3 Dual Boot on 1 Partition

Is it possible to dual boot BT3 and XP, but install BT3 on one partition because I 2 other partitions being used for backup and quickplay. If so can someone tell me how?

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

try UNetbootin (unetbootin.sourceforge.net)
    it creates a virtual live cd that operates on boot (SuperGRUB) and to the best of my knowledge, doesn't mess with your current MBR, and is easily uninstallable via the add/remove feature in xp.

Just burned his ISO

for backtrack?

I'm trying to boot Xp, and backtrack. But I want backtrack installed on one partition.

Quote Originally Posted by V9nqu!5h View Post
    for backtrack?

I'm trying to boot Xp, and backtrack. But I want backtrack installed on one partition.
    Where is the problem then? Just use the search function. Enough tutorials out there. Or rephrase your question so that is more understandable.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Where is the problem then? Just use the search function. Enough tutorials out there. Or rephrase your question so that is more understandable.
    his question is most likely just due to the tutorials which suggest using 3 partitions (mbr,root,and swap) for an "ideal" install, as you know. it would be probably best rephrased as "do I really need a swap partition"? @op, google "running linux without a swap partition"

you do make the very valid point that most questions are pretty easily answered;but only when the right questions are asked. (pretty b|t unrelated though,eh)

-c

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laz777 View Post
    try UNetbootin (unetbootin.sourceforge.net)
    it creates a virtual live cd that operates on boot (SuperGRUB) and to the best of my knowledge, doesn't mess with your current MBR, and is easily uninstallable via the add/remove feature in xp.
    This in no way was what the OP asked for.
    Please do not post stating to do B when A is what is asked for and is achievable.

To the OP yes you can setup BT3 on one partition.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

jazzy

Default install

well guys i need help on installing i have done everything on the website step by step and can't get it to install or boot i am about ready through BT3 in file13 i like what i see be tired fooling with it i have been trying to get it to install for about 3 or 4 days it look like it is installing but willn't boot

Quote Originally Posted by clone View Post
    his question is most likely just due to the tutorials which suggest using 3 partitions (mbr,root,and swap) for an "ideal" install, as you know. it would be probably best rephrased as "do I really need a swap partition"? @op, google "running linux without a swap partition"

you do make the very valid point that most questions are pretty easily answered;but only when the right questions are asked. (pretty b|t unrelated though,eh)

-c
    Well but even with 1 partition you can create 3 logical ones and you'll have the required 3 partitions.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Resolved, but thanks for help!

Just burned his ISO

H op i installed backtrack4 in 2 partitions before i just followed this blog
    @mbah.net/linux/backtrack/
    now for step 3
    make your primary partition #3
    /dev/sda3
    nto a linux allocate using
    fdisk
    then create a linux swap solaris for #4
    /dev/sda4
    so your partitions will look like the following

/dev/sda1 whatever
    /dev/sda2 whatever
    /dev/sda3 83 linux 36.7gb
    /dev/sda4 82 swap 1.4gb

now just use
    mkreiserfs /dev/sda3
    press y
    now join both partitions
    mke2fs /dev/sda3
    and follow the rest of the guide i posted
    If you want to do it with only one partition then just make your 3th or 4th partition a linux reiserfs follow the bolded command(above)
    skip the next and keep following the guide to step 4 remember to change the number of the partition accordingly and make sure to read the effects linux without a swap will have
    also remember google and some of us are your friends so any other questions just drop by again laterz
    I aint crazy just a lil mistaken