Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100% new to linux

Just burned his ISO coolabhijits's Avatar

Talking

i think its bettar to use live mint bcoz it gives the feel of windows with the envioroment of linux............it have lots of audio and video codecs which is the first consideration when switching to linux...................and it is also available in live cd .....................so for a start its good !

Just burned his ISO

Mint and Windows feeling? i love Mint. pls dont pull its name in the dirt... and if you prefer mint there is also something like Wubi for it (google a bit)
    its as easy as Ubuntu

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azrial View Post
    Mint and Windows feeling? i love Mint. pls dont pull its name in the dirt... and if you prefer mint there is also something like Wubi for it (google a bit)
    its as easy as Ubuntu
    Whoa slow down there, the OP was not trying to "put a name in the dirt" but rather make a simple comparison.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    There's about a half dozen how-to's on this site on creating a bootable usb drive. Though honestly, BackTrack isn't really made for beginners to linux.
    i would have to agree backtrack is not for noobs and yet theres still people asking how to do things...
    They ran this hack in V.M.O., so I'm isolating the A.P.I., and just booting the host. -Matthew Farrell

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by war10ck216 View Post
    i would have to agree backtrack is not for noobs and yet theres still people asking how to do things...
    And the point of the above is ? Sorry apparently I got lost.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just thought I’d add in my 2 pence....

Personally the first ever Linux distribution I came across and used was Backtrack2 and I’ve not looked back since! I think it depends on what you’re initially trying to achieve and your reasons for learning Linux in the first place. For me it was specifically for security analysis and as Backtrack is so highly focused on penetration testing I can’t think of a better Linux distribution to start with. If you have the dedication, commitment and passion to learn and get stuck in at the deep end then you will find that you will pick up all of the basics along the way!

I don’t disagree that people completely new to Linux perhaps should experiment with easier distributions first before moving onto backtrack, but just because someone is new to Linux and put into the ‘Noob’ bracket, doesn’t mean that they are not a highly intelligent human being that would take to backtrack like a duck to water!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12