Thread: Help on UUID Device Setup (At Boot)

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Help on UUID Device Setup (At Boot)

I know a lot of people are trying to figure this one out. I've been searching google for a week, and can't find any info on this topic. All I want is to for me to be able to stick my usb drive in any computer, and for it to mount the partition as the same device ( /dev/* ) at every boot. This is needed because most computers have different hardware setups, and when linux loads the usb device may be sda1 or sdb1 or hax0 for all I know. So, what I want is for me to set it to load my usb device as /dev/* always.

I already successfully have persistent changes working, but I need to know how to fix the main problem.

Info that I've found so far:
    -This procedure may not be possible, stated by others
    -/etc/fstab is automatically created at boot (or just changed a little), so changing that file won't help ("UUID=* /dev/* ..." is the correct format usually used)
    -There may be other ways of booting a specific device at boot (not sure of an exact procedure, and the info that I have is mush without fitting together)

Thanks in advance. I don't usually post on forums that often...usually can find the info on goog. Oh well. Please post a link if you find any sources for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Troop116rules View Post
    I know a lot of people are trying to figure this one out. I've been searching google for a week, and can't find any info on this topic. All I want is to for me to be able to stick my usb drive in any computer, and for it to mount the partition as the same device ( /dev/* ) at every boot. This is needed because most computers have different hardware setups, and when linux loads the usb device may be sda1 or sdb1 or hax0 for all I know. So, what I want is for me to set it to load my usb device as /dev/* always.

I already successfully have persistent changes working, but I need to know how to fix the main problem.

-/etc/fstab is automatically created at boot (or just changed a little), so changing that file won't help ("UUID=* /dev/* ..." is the correct format usually used)
    -There may be other ways of booting a specific device at boot (not sure of an exact procedure, and the info that I have is mush without fitting together)

Thanks in advance. I don't usually post on forums that often...usually can find the info on goog. Oh well. Please post a link if you find any sources for this.

Will any of this help?
    http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.p...5c491c4c0ce4f9
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Good friend of the forums

With BT4 beta just make a initrd and it will include support booting using root=UUID= and root=LABEL=
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Just burned his ISO

EDIT: Reply to Barry, not bofh28
    Well, I just tried that...and that info seems to be made for full installs of linux distros. I believe the line that I need to put in syslinux.cfg (on line APPEND) is "changes=*" usually "*" is /dev/sd*2 (I have the second partition on my flash drive). Info I found earlier stated that the line changes="root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/[UUID]" does not work in BT4 Beta. I am wondering if there is a loop around it, or if there is a fix for /etc/fstab that would mount the partitions as I please. But, I noticed that /etc/fstab is overwritten at each boot. I know that you can use the UUID in fstab ( UUID=* /mnt/[Mount Dir] [options] 0 0 ), but this overwrite issue is a problem. Is there a way to add a line to fstab at boot? This seemed to me as the only way to get this to work.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for that. I remember seeing something about the BT4's initrd image missing some things. I found a tutorial for building the initrd image. (I've never done it myself) So, just to be sure, is there any extra programs/files/libs I should include in the image for building? I don't want to boot and get an unfixable error. I've put a lot of work into this BT4 (8gb flash drive, with 4gb changes partition). A BT4-specific initrd building tutorial would be better, if that link is available.

Thanks for the help so far.

Thanks for that. I remember seeing something about the BT4's initrd image missing some things. I found a tutorial for building the initrd image. (I've never done it myself) So, just to be sure, is there any extra programs/files/libs I should include in the image for building? I don't want to boot and get an unfixable error. I've put a lot of work into this BT4 (8gb flash drive, with 4gb changes partition). A BT4-specific initrd building tutorial would be better, if that link is available.

Thanks for the help so far.
    Just zip up the flash drive for a back up. I'm pretty sure there are a few tutorials on the ubuntu site though.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

k thanks...I'll keep searching.

Good friend of the forums

All I did was update initramfs-tools and it generated a new initrd which I told grub to use instead of splash.initrd and root=LABEL=bt4b worked like it should.

Good Luck

PS I should mention I have a real install installed on a portable hard drive. This is not a boot usb with persistent changes install.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss