Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Which Atheros Card for BackTrack and OSX?

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default Which Atheros Card for BackTrack and OSX?

    Hi guys,
    I have a macbookPro Unibody (with ExpressCard/34 slot) with BackTrack and OSX installed.
    I'm going to buy an expressCard with 'Atheros Chipset' and antenna.
    I heard that the Ubiquiti SRX is good.
    I need a card that can work in BackTrack and OSX as well. I'm choosing the Atheros chip because is the one that is better compatible with the security app. like Aircrack-ng etc.
    The card I'm interested in is this one
    data-alliance.net/servlet/the-126/Ubiquiti-SRX-300mW-802.11G/Detail
    What do you think?
    Do you know other cards or do you have something to suggest me?
    Thanks a lot

  2. #2
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    same question

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Member imported_vvpalin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6sic6 View Post
    The card I'm interested in is this one
    data-alliance.net/servlet/the-126/Ubiquiti-SRX-300mW-802.11G/Detail
    What do you think?
    I think thats a wonderfull card and well worth the $140 price tag! I was going to suggest the ALFA card that i have it runs at 500mw and costs $50 but the one you posted is 300mw at $140. That of course makes yours 3 times better. I wish i would have seen that one before i bought mine
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

  4. #4
    Just burned his ISO Sharik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vvpalin View Post
    ALFA card that i have it runs at 500mw and costs $50 but the one you posted is 300mw at $140. That of course makes yours 3 times better.
    How is a less powerful expensive card better than a cheaper more powerful one?

  5. #5
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    double post sorry

  6. #6
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6sic6 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have a macbookPro Unibody (with ExpressCard/34 slot) with BackTrack and OSX installed.
    I'm going to buy an expressCard with 'Atheros Chipset' and antenna.
    I heard that the Ubiquiti SRX is good.
    I need a card that can work in BackTrack and OSX as well. I'm choosing the Atheros chip because is the one that is better compatible with the security app. like Aircrack-ng etc.
    The card I'm interested in is this one
    data-alliance.net/servlet/the-126/Ubiquiti-SRX-300mW-802.11G/Detail
    What do you think?
    Do you know other cards or do you have something to suggest me?
    Thanks a lot
    I use an atheros AR5005G card, its not great but it works for me , PS. Tried reading the thread 'What card to buy million dollar question' very informative

  7. #7
    Member imported_vvpalin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharik View Post
    How is a less powerful expensive card better than a cheaper more powerful one?
    For the same reason that posting before you search is a good idea.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

  8. #8
    Senior Member streaker69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharik View Post
    How is a less powerful expensive card better than a cheaper more powerful one?
    Because it's very easy to build a card that can blast out high Power RF, but it's more difficult to build a card that has good receive sensitivity, noise rejection and such.

    There's other important specifications than just power output.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

  9. #9
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    Why does it have to work with OSX? Just wondering, because I've never had problems with the built in card.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

  10. #10
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Why does it have to work with OSX? Just wondering, because I've never had problems with the built in card.
    I don't know why OP is asking, but I am very curious because I would like a one-card solution for my acer aspire one so I can do pen testing and have a 'macbook nano' too I'm looking for a mini-pci card and have not located one using google yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •