Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alfa AWUS050NH USB

Developer

You already started your own thread on this issue. In between double posting and spamming the IRC channel you are really pissing me off.

Just burned his ISO

Hi, i just bought the new N version of the alfa and it seems to work fine with backtrack 3. packet injection and authentication work.
    With backtrack 4 its not even recognising it.
    Hope they will fix that issue.
    One thing that is weird is that in airodump the PWR is a bit difficult to understand. Im getting numberes of like -80 for a router that is a block away and like -40 for my own router which is 20 feet away. I dont get how its working. I sometimes cant assosiate with the router if the number is like -90.
    If anyone got any idea's why this is happeneing please let me know.

Just burned his ISO

Question

i have the same adaptor.

i have nto tried it in bt3 yet, but you're right, bt4 does not see it..

afaik...

the -40 would mean 60
    and -20 would mean 80

at least, with the Alfa 500mW b/g and bt4.......

is there any way we can get the AWUS050NH working in BT4b?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kivi12k View Post
    Im getting numberes of like -80 for a router that is a block away and like -40 for my own router which is 20 feet away
    The power indicates the dBm which(you must noticed if you used netsumblet) is from -80dBm(depends on the sensibility of the card) to ~ -20dBm. As dBm being the strength level and -20>-80 that means the higher number (noticed they are negative!) is the closest AP
    Great minds have purposes, others have wishes

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by erhardm View Post
    The power indicates the dBm which(you must noticed if you used netsumblet) is from -80dBm(depends on the sensibility of the card) to ~ -20dBm. As dBm being the strength level and -20>-80 that means the higher number (noticed they are negative!) is the closest AP

No....

-20 would be closer than -80

PWR -20 = PWR 80
    PWR -80 = PWR 20

I have this adaptor, i'm looking at my airodump-ng output..

my AP has -10 while *all* others are -50 to -100.

so, since my AP is 20 feet away, i'm guessing that -20 is a better signal than -80.

Quote Originally Posted by b0nghitter View Post
    No....

-20 would be closer than -80

PWR -20 = PWR 80
    PWR -80 = PWR 20

I have this adaptor, i'm looking at my airodump-ng output..

my AP has -10 while *all* others are -50 to -100.

so, since my AP is 20 feet away, i'm guessing that -20 is a better signal than -80.
    power- is percentage signal loss.

pwr -20 = pwr 80, the remainder of the signal from 100 (%)
    pwr -80 = pwr 20, reflects 80 % signal loss.

not much guessing necessary, is there?

Just burned his ISO

Hi, i just bought the new N version of the alfa and it seems to work fine with backtrack 3. packet injection and authentication work.
    With backtrack 4 its not even recognising it.
    Hope they will fix that issue.
    One thing that is weird is that in airodump the PWR is a bit difficult to understand. Im getting numberes of like -80 for a router that is a block away and like -40 for my own router which is 20 feet away. I dont get how its working. I sometimes cant assosiate with the router if the number is like -90.
    If anyone got any idea's why this is happeneing please let me know.
    Hey Kivi, we meet again.

The reason why you can't connect when a reading is at -90 is that card max sensitivity is at -91. So you are practically marginalizing at the edge there. You would see your signals going on and off indicating incomplete communication at one of two endpoints.

PS: Would you mind posting screenshots showing the amount of networks this card picks up in airodump as well as kismet. Also a screenshot of aireplay showing pps speed would be nice also.
    BT3CDBroadcom4318ZE2308WM

Just burned his ISO

Default awus050

well im not sure what good a screenshot will be, in my area i get alot of acess point.....actually way too many then airodump can handle....it fills up the screen and i cant even view them all but i live in a very populated city so it doesnt mean that everyone will ahve the sameresults as me. As for the speed, i dont really recall but i think the #/s was at like 200 ....but im not sure....ill try it again later on and give an update.

Just burned his ISO

well im not sure what good a screenshot will be, in my area i get alot of acess point.....actually way too many then airodump can handle....it fills up the screen and i cant even view them all but i live in a very populated city so it doesnt mean that everyone will ahve the sameresults as me. As for the speed, i dont really recall but i think the #/s was at like 200 ....but im not sure....ill try it again later on and give an update.
    What type of antenna and at what gain were you using with the card to obtain the networks?

Thanks, will look forward to seeing what info you can provide. I am doing some research into a replacement card. 200pps is lower than 500pps, typical of the AWUS036H so it may not be optimized yet.

Edit: Forgot to ask, does this card's cord have 2 USB-A input and 1 USB-B output like the AWUSO36H?
    BT3CDBroadcom4318ZE2308WM

i just Purchased this card and i suppose to receive it tomorrow

i'll do my tests and provide you with all info needed and ScreenShots if

available

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast