Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi!!!!!!

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Torrenting eBooks is illegal? Where?! Germany?

So if I open OpenOffice Writer, write a book, then save it as PDF, then bittorrent it, I'm breaking the law?

Obviously I'm taking the piss here, but it needs to be said: Tom Hurley didn't mention anything about copyright violation or about illegally torrenting eBooks. All he mentioned was torrenting eBooks, which is as legal as eating icecream in a public place (even in Germany).

Banning Tom Hurley is unwarranted in my opinion.

By the way, I torrent for eBooks all the time, but I don't break any copyright law (or any law at all for that matter) in doing so.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Virchanza.... For Tom you are right, but Kapoios..... something is telling me he is looking for copyrighted materials.... Dave... give Tom another chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza
    By the way, I torrent for eBooks all the time, but I don't break any copyright law (or any law at all for that matter) in doing so.
    not even speed laws? o.0

Well if you're so suspicious then ask Kapoios if he's looking to illegally download copyrighted materials. If he says yes, then fair enough, ban him. At his point though there is no grounds to accuse him of criminal activity.

I can't count the amount of times I've posted stuff on this forum that could be interpretted as copyright violation, but you cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I've ever infringed upon copyright law. I'm careful about what I say, and more importantly, about what I don't say.

If the moderators were always so trigger-happy, I'd have been banned a dozen times by now.

@ KMDave

Along with junkiethumbs, I respectfully request that you un-ban Tom Hurley. Of course you're the moderator and you can do what you like, but I'd like if you took our opinions into consideration.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    Well if you're so suspicious then ask Kapoios if he's looking to illegally download copyrighted materials. If he says yes, then fair enough, ban him. At his point though there is no grounds to accuse him of criminal activity.

I can't count the amount of times I've posted stuff on this forum that could be interpretted as copyright violation, but you cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I've ever infringed upon copyright law. I'm careful about what I say, and more importantly, about what I don't say.

If the moderators were always so trigger-happy, I'd have been banned a dozen times by now.

@ KMDave

Along with junkiethumbs, I respectfully request that you un-ban Tom Hurley. Of course you're the moderator and you can do what you like, but I'd like if you took our opinions into consideration.
    Well you didn't see his other 10+ posts which never made it through the mod queue. Seeing just that one post I'd say you are right. But trying to just spam other total useless posts like loooollll and 5x I have the same issue in the different threads without adding anything beneficial makes me doubt that he is up to anything legal when he says torrenting ebooks. Let's see it that way, usually if an author is giving away his books for free as an ebook he does it on his website.
    Believe me I just didn't ban him just for this one post.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

You're too kind, you should have banned him after the first "loooolllll" post

All's well that end's well.

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    I'm sure KMDave is doing a good job, and I was totally sure he had his reasons for banning him!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    For those that missed it, see here:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/new...mp-cipher.html
    Post 5 should help sum it up.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

I'm sure KMDave is doing a good job, and I was totally sure he had his reasons for banning him!
    I agree. KMDave is an excellent Administrator and I have to commend the quality of his work on the forum. (Plus, i like his fishing trips very much! )
    I just had to follow this through .
    -9:25 AM Set the bait.
    -12:29 PM The skiddie bites!!!
    -3:39 PM Hook, line and the sinker

Nice catch!
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Well you didn't see his other 10+ posts which never made it through the mod queue. Seeing just that one post I'd say you are right. But trying to just spam other total useless posts like loooollll and 5x I have the same issue in the different threads without adding anything beneficial makes me doubt that he is up to anything legal when he says torrenting ebooks. Let's see it that way, usually if an author is giving away his books for free as an ebook he does it on his website.
    Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    For those that missed it, see here:

can't link yet....

Post 5 should help sum it up.
    I am humbled and will do better research when in doubt of bannishment. I am glad that I spent a few days reading in the looser's lounge to get a feel of the general ban req's.

@KMDave
    I for one am glad that there are "active" mods here to help reduce the puff and poo that appears on many a boards out there in space.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by junkiethumbs View Post
    I am humbled and will do better research when in doubt of bannishment. I am glad that I spent a few days reading in the looser's lounge to get a feel of the general ban req's.
    JT
    No worries, from your point of view you were absolutely correct. Just reading this one post does not necessarily qualify someone for a ban, at least in my opinion

You can not see the other posts I deleted upfront either, so no worries

Sure we are all human beings and can make mistakes, I think I do quite a lot of them. If I am in doubt about the intentions of a person I usually let it be and see if he gives himself away. If not, I'll just try to keep a watching eye on them.
    But still one might make a mistake and if that would have been just a bad call on my side I would have taken your remarks into account and maybe lifted the ban.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12