Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kernel panic because mistype lilo

Reformat and follow the instructions better.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by BT2008 View Post
    Any kind of imformation would be great
    Heres some information: you might be able to find out the cause of this error by searching the web. Someone in this thread has already tried to subtly point this out to you but you have given no evidence that this advice has sunk in. You may want to give this a go before posting back.

If you do need to post back, you may also want to provide more context around your problem so we can understand exactly what you're doing. For example:

Are you trying to do a hard drive install of Backtrack 4 (the use of lilo would seem to suggest this)? Is the "main problem" that you fixed related to booting BackTrack from a hard drive?

What functionality is missing when you try and boot BackTrack 4? Im confused here because in one of your posts you stated:

BT4 is working fine now BUT the only message I see when booting BT4 is:

IO APIC resources could not be allocated
    If its "working fine" then why are you bothering with this error? Or by "working fine" do you mean that its installed to the hard drive and its booting to the point where the error pops up and then it goes no further?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Heres some information: you might be able to find out the cause of this error by searching the web. Someone in this thread has already tried to subtly point this out to you but you have given no evidence that this advice has sunk in. You may want to give this a go before posting back.

If you do need to post back, you may also want to provide more context around your problem so we can understand exactly what you're doing. For example:

Are you trying to do a hard drive install of Backtrack 4 (the use of lilo would seem to suggest this)? Is the "main problem" that you fixed related to booting BackTrack from a hard drive?

What functionality is missing when you try and boot BackTrack 4? Im confused here because in one of your posts you stated:

If its "working fine" then why are you bothering with this error? Or by "working fine" do you mean that its installed to the hard drive and its booting to the point where the error pops up and then it goes no further?
    Must be a Windows user to think that's "working fine".
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Must be a Windows user to think that's "working fine".
    Heh

Windows user? Likely. At the very least his definition of "fine" must be radically different to ours...
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Yes a Windows User, you got me
    I would like to learn more about BT and I thought that the people on this forum can help me.

What I was trying to say is:

BT4 beta installed from a USB (no cdrom) to the HD of my appliance.
    In the boot up screen everything is saying [ OK } the only message I see is:

--> IO APIC resources could not be allocated <--

* loading hardware drivers
    irq 9: nobody cares (try booting with the "irgpoll" option)
    handlers:
    [<c02f1830>] (acpi_irq+0x0/0x1f)
    Disabling IRQ #9

It's possible to login with root and install applications like x11vnc.
    That's why I referred by it's working fine.

Well that does sound like its working fine. Is there any reason why you want to get rid of this error then? Is it stopping you from doing anything on the machine?

From what you've said it seems like a purely cosmetic error.

If you still want to get rid of it a Google search gives some illuminating information which could provide a good learning experience.

Just burned his ISO

Yes a Windows User, you got me
    I would like to learn more about BT and I thought that the people on this forum can help me.

What I was trying to say is:

BT4 beta installed from a USB (no cdrom) to the HD of my appliance.
    In the boot up screen everything is saying [ OK } the only message I see is:

--> IO APIC resources could not be allocated <--

* loading hardware drivers
    irq 9: nobody cares (try booting with the "irgpoll" option)
    handlers:
    [<c02f1830>] (acpi_irq+0x0/0x1f)
    Disabling IRQ #9

Try booting with the irqpoll option.

Quote Originally Posted by s0sick View Post
    Try booting with the irqpoll option.
    However did you come up with that idea s0sick?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Funny, if the OP would have looked at the two links I provided most of the problems and the other posts would not have been needed.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Funny, if the OP would have looked at the two links I provided most of the problems and the other posts would not have been needed.
    Yuh huh

I was in disbelief about that myself, and even more so once I pointed out to the OP that someone else on the forum had subtly suggested they STFW and it still didn't sink in.

Not searching Google for the error before posting is bad. Continuing to post after someone else has done a Google search for you, provided a link to the search and a link to one of the most promising results is beyond bad.

Maybe a directive to STFW before posting basic questions needs to be added to the Forum rules. Although from what Ive seen not that many people seem to read the forum rules anyway, so that may not help...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12