Thread: BT4 Kernel headers

Hybrid View

Default BT4 Kernel headers

I'm not sure how serious an issue this is. I had it happen a while ago for something I was trying to compile for myself, but i have reproduced it in envy-ng while trying to install video drivers for ATI or nvidia.

Ubuntu forums refer to uname -r for getting your kernel version, BT4 replies "2.6.28.1", and the most recent kernel headers in aptitude appear to be for 2.6.27-11.

Has anyone else had a conflict with this? If not I'm curius why I'm getting this error.

I've done a harddrive install as per SuspectZero's script found in the HowTo's forum. It was a move-over from a persistant USB boot. But I've tested it from the livecd directly also and got the same issue with envy ( I unfortunately cannot recall what gave me the error first ).

Default lag

There is a lag between distributions depending on the upload approvals for (especially for) kernel upgrades or software upgrades.

Minor revision changes are often cosmetic and would normally not affect mainstream applications to any marked degree.
    Lux sit

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    There is a lag between distributions depending on the upload approvals for (especially for) kernel upgrades or software upgrades.

Minor revision changes are often cosmetic and would normally not affect mainstream applications to any marked degree.
    I have no problem with this.. But aren't drivers mainstream? Shouldn't BT have come with the headers which are up to date?

The error is basically "[Application] has detected that the headers for your kernel are missing and cannot be installed".

If your comment was giving aptitude a reason to not have the most up-to-date headers, then fine.. They don't need to have them, but if I'm not the only one with this issue then why didn't BT include the headers for the kernel its using?

I'm still not sure if this is just an isolated incident, so I guess that's my first step to check if anyone else is having this problem. If not I'll do what I can to fix it for myself, if so then maybe someone more able in linux can come up with a solution.

Developer

Its because backtracks kernel is custom built. The kernel sources are in the offsec repo. Although Im not clear what your issue is. The sources and headers for the kernel should be in the ,iso. I havent had any issue at all with nvidia drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Its because backtracks kernel is custom built. The kernel sources are in the offsec repo. Although Im not clear what your issue is. The sources and headers for the kernel should be in the ,iso. I havent had any issue at all with nvidia drivers.
    So I'd need to add a third party repo for it? And that way I can get the headers?

Or does that mean due to the custom-ness, there aren't headers available for the public?

Edit: The repo seems to be there. I see the kernel image:

dave@Guardian:/pentest/password/pyrit# apt-cache search $(uname -r)
    linux-image-2.6.28.1 - Linux kernel binary image for version 2.6.28.1

Are the headers available within the image? If so I'll look up a way to get them out and implement them.

The main issue I was having was with compiling something specific which I can't recall right now. I just know that when I use envyng (which is an automatic video driver installation suite for ubuntu) it gives this error when I attempt to install through it.

I needed to use it to try and get the latest ATI drivers while I was seeing if I could get pyrit working with stream on my desktop.

Developer

The problem may be that the packages in the main repo are built on an older kernel than we have in backtrack. Its my understanding that the 2.6.28.1 sources and headers are in the .iso but when muts comes online later I will get a definite answer for you.