Thread: Alfa 500 mW owners

Just burned his ISO

Talking Alfa 500 mW owners

I just purchased the Alfa 500 mw with the RTL8187L chip-set. Besides from cracking my own wifi what kind of real world range could I expect? I read that it can connect up to 1000ft away but manufacturer tests are always biased.

Just burned his ISO

I'm happy with it, and there is a big difference between a standard wifi adapter and the alfa. I made connections at fair speed at +- 500 meters.

Good friend of the forums

use a directional antenna (or hmm, cantenna) for range increase in a certain direction.

Alfa has much better sensitivity than most other wireless cards I've tried and it also has greater xmit power. You might want to get an additional antenna to boost your signal.
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

Just burned his ISO

well that is great news, I use to have that crappy WUSB54G and I cant believe I spent more money on that then the alfa. I also was thinking about a directional antenna but they had a great deal on a 9dbi omni, at least with that I could still use the cantenna idea.

Total cost = $67.48

Also I should be getting it sometime in the next few days, so I will post some benchmarks on range (just for the non-believers), anybody got any good tools for benchmarking?

the list,
    Alfa 500 mw
    WUSB54G if I can find it
    Netgear WPN511
    Linksys WPC54G v2