Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus eeepc 1000HE

Default Asus eeepc 1000HE

The Asus eeepc 1000HE boots with no errors and KDE loads with the proper resolution. WiFi does not work 'out of the box', but there is a simple fix described below. The brightness function (Fn) keys still work, as do the pgup, pgdwn, home, end, numlock and scrlock keys. None of the silver hotkeys work, and the 1000HE is not supported by any of the current eeepc utilities.

Wifi fix

Download the latest wireless package from linuxwireless.org to your /root directory then extract them with :

Code:
    tar jxvf compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2
    Use cd to enter the directory it creates (the directory will be named depending on the date of the download) and run:

Code:
    make
    This might take a while, depending on your system. Feel free to grab a bagel. I saw some errors relating to the broadcom drivers, but that doesn't affect this model. When it's finished run:

Code:
    make install
    This should be a bit quicker. Once that's finished you will be prompted to run the unloading tool to get rid of the old modules. Do it.

Code:
    make unload
    This will clear the way for the new modules. To load them, run:

Code:
    modprobe ath9k
    You should now see a device called wlan0 when you run iwconfig. This has been tested and works with injection and regular managed mode. For those with hard drive installs who don't want to worry about running modprobe every time they boot do:

Code:
    echo ath9k >> /etc/modules
    ---
    Useful HowTo Threads <-- Why do people think I'm joking when I link this?

Just burned his ISO

thanks !!! now my system isn't freezing anymore when injecting packets.

Is there a way to make this change permanent when booting from USB key ?

Or maybe I should wait for the next beta...

Just burned his ISO

Question Replace wireless?

Has anyone replaced the wireless card on the 1000HE?

I need to replace it with one that is compatible with OS X as well. The OS X guide that I read says to swap it out for a BCM94321 card off of ebay but I'm not sure if this card will be any good for injection etc.

Any recommendations on a mini pci-e card known to work for both OSX and play well on Backtrack?

(i'm running BT4beta off SD card btw).

Just burned his ISO

looks awesome, anyone else tried this? I just got shipped my asus1000HE today so I haven't tried this yet.

Just burned his ISO

i concur. update the ath9k drivers and injection works without freezing.

Just burned his ISO

I followed the steps although it would not allow me to make the file due to an older kernel. I am running the BT3 final iso off a thumb drive. I went a few months back to the same result. Any ideas on the latest when I should go back to or just get the new BT4 beta?

Just burned his ISO

i believe ath9k is not supported with the older kernels. so yes, i would suggest using bt4b. i have mine loaded on a 2gig sd card with persistent changes.

Just burned his ISO

Yah yesterday I tried with BT4B on a 2gig flash drive...got the drivers, got the errors with like you said with maybe the broadcom, got some chocolate milk instead of a bagel and worked great.

So i am still freezing during my aireplay commands. when you install the new drivers do you have to reboot to make them work? im doing this on a live usb drive to my 1000he.

Just burned his ISO

Hey guys,
    I'm running BT4 on a 4GB SD card. I set it up to save changes using the guides found around, and it works great. The trouble is, I don't know how to get the wireless working. I've tried installing those drivers, but when I do the "make install" it gets stuck on "running athenable ath5k... it keeps saying 'cannot stat /lib/modules/2.6.28.1//lib/modules/2.6.28.2/net/ath_pci.ko'" and I have no idea what to do. I also see people saying something about "running the mon0 interface". I have no idea what is meant by that. Also, on the ath9k project site (hxxp://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k#Enablingath9k) it says to enable the wireless driver by doing this: Enabling ath9k

To enable ath9k, you must first enable mac80211:

Networking --->
    Wireless --->
    <M> Improved wireless configuration API
    <M> Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack (mac80211)

You can then enable ath9k in the kernel configuration under

Device Drivers --->[*] Network device support --->
    Wireless LAN --->
    <M> Atheros 802.11n wireless cards support

I don't know what that means either. As you can probably tell, I am a newb to any kind of linux. My only command line experience is in windows (and that helps me get around a bit in linux, but just a bit). Any explanations will be appreciated very much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast