Thread: Wireless Issue (NOT typical)

Unhappy Wireless Issue (NOT typical)

I'm going to break this down into 4 parts.

Part 1 - Boot BT4 just fine, install just fine, and connect to my AP doing the following:

ifconfig ath0 up
    /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    Created a profile for my WPA2 network and connect
    dhclient ath0 (Internet works at this point)
    When done playing around, use halt command to end my session and powerdown.

Part 2 - Boot BT4 and do everything the same as before. dhclient ath0 gives me the same IP I had before (lease hasn't expired). However, now I cannot connect to the internet. I am only able to ping my internal network. I reboot many times, try the basics (router reboot, down and up devices, etc). Nothing helps, and I give up.

Part 3 - I return the next day, same thing happens. I try a few things again, but fail. I shut down, return a few hours later, repeat the same steps, and everything works again. Once done, I disconnect from the AP using Network Manager and halt session to shutdown.

Part 4 - SAME THING HAPPENS! See part 2.

So what am I doing wrong? Has anyone had this happen to them? So frustrating.... Nothing I have read and tried has worked. I'm unsure as to why it just randomly began working again....

Sounds like a problem with your router. Can you ping yahoo or any other external network? Also, take not of an external IP - such as one of the yahoo servers - and try pinging it or visiting it in a browser. You may have network connectivity but your DNS may be the problem. Also, check your /etc/resolv.conf on your local machine, and see where it is pointing to. My guess is to your router.

That's what I'm thinking, except I have no problem with any of the other 5 nodes on my network (3 of which are also using wireless).

I cannot ping outside of the network (only on my BT4 machine, all the others work perfectly fine). I have tried a few reliable external IP addresses with no avail.

What specifically do I want my /etc/resolv.conf to point to?

Thank you so much for helping!

Well, where your resolv.conf should be pointing to is to wherever your other working compters on the same network have their DNS set to.

Can you test the same machine with a different OS to isolate whether it is backtrack causing the problem, or something like MAC address filtering on your router locking you out?

It's probably not the router. More likely the DNS and/or dhcpd data needs to be renewed. Delete everything in dhcpd directory and force a renewal of the data.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Default route add

resolv.conf should point to the gateway (your router).

ping gateway. If ip added by router then this will be successful. If successful then add your touter to the route so that traffic can 'see' your dns.

As also advised dhcpcd pid file may need to be destroyed.
    Lux sit