Thread: Please Help: DHCP / ICMP issues

Exclamation Please Help: DHCP / ICMP issues

Hey everyone - long time no talk! I've been out of the BT community for a couple of years now, but I've recently taken it back up. However, I'm having a bit of a problem....

I am running an Asus N10J-A2 with an Ubiquiti SRC Xpress card. I've installed BT4 (bought this as my dedicated Linux machine) and everything works fine, or did. Yesterday I finally booted up and got access to my network, was able to get online without a problem, and spent about an hour on the forums. I stumbled across Xploitz's WEP tutorial and successfully cracked one of my routers that I had sitting around (hooray, a new use!). Once finished, I closed everything and shutdown the system.

Here's where the problem starts.....

I can successfully load my card and connect to my regular network's AP. The router gives me my original leased IP address, and I can ping the router just fine and also access the firmware via WebGUI. I am also able to ping all of my other nodes that I have connected. I, however, CAN NOT ping outside addresses. Any attempts result in Destination Host Unreachable.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? Is there something I tweaked and need to reverse back to normal when I followed the tutorial? I've been searching and trying to resolve this all day without any avail.

Here's the link to the tutorial: http://s32.photobucket.com/player.sw...fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Please help? Thanks in advance, everyone!

Ugh, my apologies if I should have posted this in the Newbie area. I thought that was just a place to introduce yourself, but apparently I was mistaken?

CAN AN ADMIN PLEASE MOVE THIS TO THE CORRECT SECTION FOR ME? Probably why I'm not getting any answers....

UPDATE: I would like to add that after letting it sit for half a day and coming back later, it's working properly again. Very frustrating..... I'd like to know why the hell it did that so that if it happens again I know what to do. PLUS, if anyone else ever searches for the same problem they may have the answer provided for them.

I can successfully load my card and connect to my regular network's AP. The router gives me my original leased IP address, and I can ping the router just fine and also access the firmware via WebGUI. I am also able to ping all of my other nodes that I have connected. I, however, CAN NOT ping outside addresses. Any attempts result in Destination Host Unreachable.
    At that moment, were you able to access the Internet at all? It sounds like you lost connection with the outside in there. If you are not able to ping, let's say www.google.com, then you can't access its website. An exception though is when a particular ip-address is hosting a site, but at the same time is dropping icmp requests. In that case you can see the site but not ping it!
    QuadCore AMD Phenon X4 9950, 2600 MHz
    8GB DDR2 800MHz
    Dual Boot System: Windows Server 2008 x64 w/ Hyper-V, Ubuntu 9.10 x64

do
    Code:
    ip route
    and paste the results

edit:just noticed it started working. what it sounded like was your gateway was not being configured when you got your dhcp lease. usually when you get a destination host unreachable, thats the problem. next time you can try to release your dhcp reservation and then renew it. ip route will tell you if you have the proper gateway.