Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to change MAC address

Just burned his ISO

I just purchased the alfa awus036h and am having the same issue. I have another atheros card I was using which worked fine, but didn't have the greatest range which is why I got the alfa, except now I can't do what I want with it! Sheesh.

I just started trying to figure this out last night, if i find any answers I will post here.

Just burned his ISO

I hope you have better luck than I do. I have been working on this since last year on various other Linux distros and BSD but still nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberneticscore View Post
    I hope you have better luck than I do. I have been working on this since last year on various other Linux distros and BSD but still nothing.
    A bit of googling shows that this is a common issue with that driver on multiple distros as you have mentioned.

Have you tried going back to the madwifi driver, or is that what you were asking for help on?

Just burned his ISO

Someone told me the old madwifi is becoming very obsolete and will not be supported anymore...it was even removed from testing in the Debian repository which means it will be gone from the ability to apt-get it. Of course there are other means to get it, but it seems like if major distros are getting rid of madwifi and replacing it, maybe it's a good idea to attempt to make the transition and get everything to work smoothly because some problems might arise with the older one and no one will be around to support it

Just burned his ISO

I dunno if this will help you out or not, but I was able to use what cgkades posted successfully. Thanks cgkades!

A little background: I am using the alfa as I said (which is awesome btw) and I believe I am using different drivers from you but I also have wmaster0 ( which appears to do nothing ) and wlan0. So, the commands I am using are:

Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 down hw ether <mac address>     // without < >
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    This changes the mac address for wlan0 and I am then able to connect to the network through network manager, I haven't tried it on the command line. Macchanger will not work. Also, I am assuming you're mac spoofing because your cracking WEP or what have you. Once I put the card in monitor mode "mon0" pops up with the original mac address again. Macchanger works with "mon0" but if I do "airmon-ng stop" then "mon0" gets destroyed, so instead I have to do:

Code:
    ifconfig mon0 down
    macchanger -m 00:11:22:33:44:55 mon0
    ifconfig mon0 up
    And then I have mon0 in monitor mode with spoofed mac as well as wlan0 in managed mode with spoofed mac..and of course when I want to connect to the AP I use wlan0.

I am doubting this will help you much since others already posted essentially the same thing but I wanted to post back that I at least solved my problem and maybe it will help someone else out. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12