Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is what I am doing illegal?

thorin > Because I want to access the webpage from the outside world, not just LAN.
    streaker69 > Because I want to be able to control the computer as well. Of course I could disable the forwarding of ssh in the router, and then connect via. vpn and then ssh to the server but that is way overkill considering the security level of my SSH.

But thanks for the replies I'll make sure I won't do anything stupid then :b
    - Poul Wittig

Quote Originally Posted by Deathray View Post
    thorin > Because I want to access the webpage from the outside world, not just LAN.
    streaker69 > Because I want to be able to control the computer as well. Of course I could disable the forwarding of ssh in the router, and then connect via. vpn and then ssh to the server but that is way overkill considering the security level of my SSH.

But thanks for the replies I'll make sure I won't do anything stupid then :b
    Ok setup RDP or VNC and launch your web browser right on the server box.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Ok setup RDP or VNC and launch your web browser right on the server box.
    Actually I already got it working by first making sure apache is only listening on 127.0.0.1 and then on my client, simply tunneling my browser through the ssh connection on the webserver, and then typing in the local ip address of the web server in the browser

-------- client ip from the internet---->| -------
    ------ wan ip ------------------------ | -------
    ------------internal server ip:80 <----ssh ------
    - Poul Wittig

Cool. If that works for you then perfect!
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

IMO you should research local and federal laws that could affect your situation. Section 1030 of the CFAA may apply, if someone did come across the server, however, the likelihood of a random user crawling the web, finding your server on an unusual port #, and then attempting to access it would be unlikely. Also, their unauthorized access of the device would make it difficult to prosecute, as they were breaking the law by attempting to access the system, and you did take measures to protect the general populace. I would not think many would be willing to take such a case to court.

As for an automated bot, I'm less familiar with, however, I don't know if one access device damaging another would be prosecutable.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12