Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiki instructions for creating bootable USB flash hard disk doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by hm2075 View Post
    isn't that error a symptom of not having the changes folder in place?
    That is the *EXACT* error I got when I fat-fingered my first attempt at the BT3 USB install by not creating the changes folder.

@uunfews: Check the directions again and make certain you created a changes folder on the second partition on the USB drive.

Just burned his ISO

Changes folder???? Second partition??? I am confused. I thought there's in only one partition created by following the Wiki's instructions.

Am I supposed to create a folder name 'changes' in addition to the 'boot' and 'bt3' folder?

Sorry for many dumb questions but thanks very much for the help.

I created mine in persistent mode according to these directions:

http://www.infosecramblings.com/back...ssus-ff3-nmap/

If you are not trying to use persistent mode, then ignore my comment.

Just burned his ISO

Well I created a 'changes' folder and still getting same error.

MrFlipple:

Thanks for the link. I will consider if yours solution if you think that it will solve my problem and if I can't find a much simpler solution. Do you know the actual cause of my error message????

Quote Originally Posted by uunfews View Post
    Thanks for the link. I will consider if yours solution if you think that it will solve my problem and if I can't find a much simpler solution. Do you know the actual cause of my error message????
    Given I don't know exactly what you did, no, I can't know the actual cause. As noted, I did get this when I built my USB distro because I skipped a step in the directions, which of course blew my installation to hell.

I would suggest you try that tutorial and carefully go through it step by step, or the one you used before, and start from the beginning again. It is most likely that you did what I did and skipped a small step in the directions somewhere.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uunfews View Post
    Changes folder???? Second partition??? I am confused. I thought there's in only one partition created by following the Wiki's instructions.

Am I supposed to create a folder name 'changes' in addition to the 'boot' and 'bt3' folder?

Sorry for many dumb questions but thanks very much for the help.
    No you do not need a second partition nor a save changes partition.
    If however you do not have a changes partition of some sort somewhere then you can not save the changes you make to the system.

If you take your usb key and divide it or partition it then one of those partitions is going to have you boot and bt folders nothing more needs to be added. Then the other partition can have a folder in it named changes. This will allow you to save your information. You could also do this with say two usb stick one for each but then you have to carry both around.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Ok I am at my wits end. Despite what Wiki said I did follow the instructions at Wiki to a T. It just didn't work for me.

So I ran Unetbootin to do the install instead of Wiki and I still not getting it to work. This time I got farther along the booting process but still no positive result to report:

*copying liblinuxlibrary to union
    cp: cannot remove 'union/usr/lib/': no such file or directory*\
    *creating etc/fstab
    /linux xrc: line 188: cannot create union/etc/fstab: non existant directory
    *changing root directory.....
    Fatal error occured-can't find executable chroot command

The Linux god is not on my side. If there is no other suggestion I am going to exchange my USB stick cause I don't know what else to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12