Thread: Merging With My Current Linux Distro?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Merging With My Current Linux Distro?

Hey guys,

I been having a few problems sorting out another (currently have an XP / Ubuntu dual boot) partition for Backtrack and thought today; why not boot using the CD and copy the tools and everything to the host (XP C:\ drive) folder and then access it via Ubuntu..right?

Not so easy.

I went to "/" and selected everything and went to copy it. It came up at a staggering 38.4gb?!! How on earth is this possible?

Secondly, IS it possible? All I'd like to do is copy the Tools (and possibly the pre-made menu to merge with my Ubuntu one!) to be accessed via Ubuntu so I don't have to boot into Backtrack =)

Thanks in advance and look forward to any replies

Developer

Its not possible it was 33 gigs first of all. Second of all its not as easy as copy. You can add the offsec repo to your ubuntu install and download all of the packages but there are lots of things that could go wrong. Since it sounds like your pretty much a linux noob I would have to advise against it but if you want to give it a try.

Dont ask us for support by the way when it gets completely borked

Just burned his ISO

Hey,

Thanks for the reply man. If you reckon they're alot of things that can go wrong, I'll leave it then. I'd rather spend time trying to figure out a triple boot rather than wasting time with problems that someones already said will probably happen!

Thanks again. =)

I agree with pureh@te, that it sounds like you are just beginning your venture into the world of linux. IF you feel you would like all the tools in ubuntu, simply do what he said, add the repo's. There are a lot of pentest tools that are supported by the standard repos as well. http://sectools.org/ will give you a good list. most on there you can install yourself using sudo apt-get install [tool]. i would start getting to know those tools first. then worry about adding the offsec repo.