Thread: Can't save files in Backtrack 3

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't save files in Backtrack 3

After more playing around with Backtrack 3 today I've noticed that if I save something on the desktop or something and restart the pc it would be gone. My Backtrack 3 is on a SD card running on an Eee pc. I've read some places that if I partitioned the SD card so 1 partition is the OS and the other is for files, I would be able to save stuff to the desktop etc. Is this true?

Another thing is that my audio doesn't work either when playing music in VLC or some other player that came with Backtrack 3. Sorry if this is so easy to solve never used Linux in my life, been reading all day but with the Shell commands etc its so confusing.

There's plenty of tutorials on how to configure bt3 with saved changes.
    IMHO, it's better to save only the necessary changes and keep clean all the rest so that every time you start your distro, it's always in the same "stable" state.
    BTW, in order to have changes saved, it's enough for you that you type the following commands:
    Code:
    dir2lzm /mnt/live/memory/changes changes.lzm
    You can obviously call the .lzm file as you like, not necessarily "changes.lzm"..
    The reulting file must be copied in the "modules" folder under /BT/

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chobin73 View Post
    IMHO, it's better to save only the necessary changes and keep clean all the rest so that every time you start your distro, it's always in the same "stable" state.
    Kind of ridiculous when all one would have to do is go to the changes partition and delete the contents of the changes folder.
    Serves the same purpose and it allows one to have incremental changes as it were.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

I'm sorry, maybe my english is not good enough.
    What i mean is that "tweaking" here and there, if you're not skilled enough you risk to mess up something which is hard to restore to the original state while an lzm module can always be removed at any time. Moreover, you can easily save these modules so that every time you need to create a new bootable usb key, you can just copy these modules in the relevant folder and find out the changes you were used to.
    For sure i am missing something, and i'm sorry for that, but i followed this guideline from the wiki and i found it to be somehow "safer" for me than having changes saved as default...

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

There is nothing wrong with your english in the above posts, nor is there really anything wrong with what you are doing, but like I said if you make a mistake and you can not fix it then you can use any file manager in most systems ( windows linux etc) and remove the contents of the "changes" folder and you effectivley have the same thing, a minty fresh install. Doing it your way also assumes that one would be able to acces the lzm from the given storage medium. But what if that were not the case?
    A directory on linux ( in this case "changes") is a folder on windows. As such it can be deleted.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

If I did a 2nd partition on my SD card for my changes. Will this let me keep my auto login in network or do I have to enter the WPA key everytime I boot into bt3? This would let me save files onto the desktop too right?