Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dictionary Attack Question

Just burned his ISO

I have the proper command, it looks like there was a problem with the larger .lst file I was trying.....I am running a smaller file with no problem.

Here's my command: aircrack-ng -0 1 -a 00:13:105:1E:PC psk*.cap

I do have another question if you have a minute...

I am using a 4Gb flash drive, I put the .lst file in the boot folder then I boot up BT4 and move it to the root folder. However when I try to do this with a 500Mb file it runs out of disk space before it can copy from the boot folder to the root folder. So I tried to put the .lst file on the laptop hard drive so I could run it from there but I do not know the proper path to tell aircrack where it is.

Can you tell me the proper way to piont aircrack to the .lst file on the hard drive??

Thanks

(why did that smiley face show up in my post?)

Quote Originally Posted by stevendanza View Post
    I have the proper command, it looks like there was a problem with the larger .lst file I was trying.....I am running a samller file with no problem.

Here's my command: aircrack-ng -0 1 -a 00:13:105:1E:PC psk*.cap

I do have another question if you have a minute...

I am using a 4Gb flash drive, I put the .lst file in the boot folder then I boot up BT4 and move it to the root folder. However when I try to do this with a 500Mb file it runs out of disk space before it can copy from the boot folder to the root folder. So I tried to put the .lst file on the laptop hard drive so I could run it from there but I do not know the proper path to tell aircrack where it is.

Can you tell me the proper way to piont aircrack to the .lst file on the hard drive??

Thanks

(why did that smiley face show up in my post?)
    you will have to mount your windows drive. If you use a thumbdrive it should auto mount it. using the thumbdrive would be the "easiest" if you dont know how to manualy mount a disk. i'm not sure if bt mounts the thumb to /mnt or /media

and the smily showed up because you used a colan and a D next to each other, and the site parsed your text and thought you wanted a smily

Just burned his ISO

If I open WINE I can see the C drive and when I open it I see a windows folder and a programs folder I put the .lst file in the windows folder but when I open it from BT4 I do not see the file I put in there.

I know I need more experiance with all this but if you have a few quick answers it will save me some research time.....Thanks.

well... how do i explain this... wine is not windows. its a windows emulator. so while you see "c:\" in wine, its really pointing to a "hidden" folder .wine/ so... i would just use a thumb drive at this point, as i'm pretty sure backtrack auto mounts that. you can put the file on your thumbdrive in windows and read it from backtrack.

Just burned his ISO

I tried that but it didn't mount....that sounds like the most logical method. I try it again, and see if it will show up. Thanks

The smiley shows up because it is a feature to automatically replace a : D (without the space) to a smiley.

You still didn't explain why you need to have a larger wordlist.

It doesn't matter if you try it with a 40 or 400 MB one. If your password isn't in there, it won't work.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

I'm working on mounting the USB drive....I'm doing the research, but any chance you have a link to right instructions to save me some time??

As long as you are trying to avoid to answer the question I won't tell you since I find your behaviour suspicious.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    As long as you are trying to avoid to answer the question I won't tell you since I find your behaviour suspicious.
    No way, what gave it away?

I just love when people post. Hey I am trying to do x and now a is not working so I did y and z and now a,b,and c are messed up.
    There are several of them lately.

stevendanza: stop messing around and answer the question, and make sure it is a good answer too.
    When you get done with that, start reading the basics on how to use linux.
    Opening wine and saving a file on your windows partition and then trying to get linux to read it is like, putting whiskey in your gas tank. It might run for a while but your not going to win a race with it.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cgkades View Post
    And Thorin... whats wrong with someone trying to learn? We've all been there before. Perhaps using this knowledge he can come up with an exploit no one has thought of in a way no one could have dreamed of.... learning is never pointless
    Sorry maybe you have some insight that I don't, but I fail to see anything being learned here or anything new being tried. I suppose you could say the OP is learning a new program but that still leaves the fact that he's "testing" something that is known FACT.

There's learning as a means to an end and there's pointless learning. If they're "learning" to prove something that's already known FACT it's pointless. If they're "learning" to break the law, it's less than pointless. If they're "learning" for a job etc then it would appear they're in or headed toward the wrong field as minor issues are stumping them.

Way out in left field MAYBE they really are learning for a job, MAYBE they don't have time to do the research into the process/program and understand it. Assuming your an IT Admin or IT Manager:
    1) Would you hire someone like that?
    2) Would you rather pay someone to waste time and "prove" that your WPA protect device can be breached given sufficient time/resources/interest or would you rather the consultant had a clue and told you that it's possible then reviewed your config/management processes and pointed out the weaknesses/deficiencies vs industry best practices.

I know it drives people nutts that I try to be the voice of reason but that's just how I am. I can live with being ignored if people choose to go that route. (That's why my signature says what it says, and is on all my posts).
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast