Thread: Easiest way to boot BT3 on powerPC mac?

Just burned his ISO

Default Easiest way to boot BT3 on powerPC mac?

I've got an old G4 mac that I want to run BT3 on.

I've tried VPC with a linux partition to boot to the LIVE cd and while that worked, I found that it won't support a non-USB card (I have a PCI ralink card).

It looks like my best bet is to run LIVECD straight from OSX but I'm having difficulties getting it to boot from the LIVE CD itself. I burned the CD using toast.

Other alternative is to set up a linux partition perhaps and boot into that. I'm told though that you need a good working knowledge of linux first before attempting to compile it on a HDD volume safely. Are there are some good basic steps for this?

Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

You can download VMware workstation. Thats what I did; and my Backtrack OS was up and running in no time.

Just burned his ISO

unfortunately VMware only supports intel CPUs, not powerPCs.

btw, will PCI adapters work in backtrack or must it be USB?

Quote Originally Posted by phaedarus View Post
    I've got an old G4 mac that I want to run BT3 on.

I've tried VPC with a linux partition to boot to the LIVE cd and while that worked, I found that it won't support a non-USB card (I have a PCI ralink card).

It looks like my best bet is to run LIVECD straight from OSX but I'm having difficulties getting it to boot from the LIVE CD itself. I burned the CD using toast.

Other alternative is to set up a linux partition perhaps and boot into that. I'm told though that you need a good working knowledge of linux first before attempting to compile it on a HDD volume safely. Are there are some good basic steps for this?

Thanks.
    You are not going to have BackTrack work on a ppc Mac. Nothing in BT is compiled for a ppc processor. You could try one of the ppc variants of Ubuntu, then install/compile the apps that are in BackTrack yourself. Other than that, you can pick up compatable laptops off fleabay pretty cheap.

AFAIK there are no virtualization applications that give direct access to the internal hardware.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69