Thread: ALFA AWUS036H 500mW!

Default ALFA AWUS036H 500mW!

Hi to all,

I just bought an ALFA 500mW usb wireless card and I am just wondering if anyone of you guys that has the same card as me, had actually heard or still hears to some strange noises inside the case.

Once I have connected the card to my laptop I suddenly heard a noise and I was wondering where this noise comes from. When I took the wireless card and touch it to my ears I heard the noise.

Can you please check yours whether it does the same or not?

This noise comes periodically. Is that normal or ? By the way I had connect the card using the two usb connectors but I don't think that it has something to do!

Please post me back. I really need to know! Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by ioannou.alexandros View Post
    Hi to all,

I just bought an ALFA 500mW usb wireless card and I am just wondering if anyone of you guys that has the same card as me, had actually heard or still hears to some strange noises inside the case.

Once I have connected the card to my laptop I suddenly heard a noise and I was wondering where this noise comes from. When I took the wireless card and touch it to my ears I heard the noise.

Can you please check yours whether it does the same or not?

This noise comes periodically. Is that normal or ? By the way I had connect the card using the two usb connectors but I don't think that it has something to do!

Please post me back. I really need to know! Thanks very much!
    First of all I can't help wondering why you put the card against your ear in the first place?

I noticed this same behaviour from my Alfa 500mw card after some time of use. In the beginning it did not produce any sound whatsoever, but lately a quite faint and high pitched noise can be heard from it whenever it transmits. I guess it is possible that it has been damaged during some long periods of use at the maximum possible TX power, but as it still works just as good in the beginning I really do not worry that much.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

Thanks for letting me know.

Just burned his ISO

Same here, mine started right out of the box, but only when injecting.

Oh and don't put that thing near your head, that squishy mushy stuff between your ear's doesn't react well to that kind of power/radiation . . . (at least that's what they told me in college and i've seen too many braintumors)

Just burned his ISO

btw do you need to connect it via 2 USB ports?

I have a macbook pro with 500mA in each USB port.

Quote Originally Posted by jpm11 View Post
    btw do you need to connect it via 2 USB ports?

I have a macbook pro with 500mA in each USB port.
    No, 1 USB port should be sufficient for most uses.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Denniel View Post
    Same here, mine started right out of the box, but only when injecting.

Oh and don't put that thing near your head, that squishy mushy stuff between your ear's doesn't react well to that kind of power/radiation . . . (at least that's what they told me in college and i've seen too many braintumors)

Is the Alfa really powerful enough to actually be dangerous if he held it to his ear for that short of a period of time?

Not being a smart aleck - genuinely curious.

Mobile phone antennas usually have an output of 900mW!

These are more harmful !

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    First of all I can't help wondering why you put the card against your ear in the first place?

I noticed this same behaviour from my Alfa 500mw card after some time of use. In the beginning it did not produce any sound whatsoever, but lately a quite faint and high pitched noise can be heard from it whenever it transmits.
    Exactly the same experience with mine!
    - Poul Wittig