Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need an a/b/g USB Wireless card

Just burned his ISO

Default Need an a/b/g USB Wireless card

I am looking for a good USB wireless card that does a/b/g and will work with both BT3 and eventually BT4. This card will be used for wireless assessments using kismet. BT may or may not be running in a VM, so I need USB.

I did search the forum for answers, but did not find a card that does A along with B and G.

Thanks!

Default 5GHz

802.11 amendment 'a' provided for 5GHz transmissions.

I do not know of a single card/chip that will operate at both the 2.4GHz frequency and the 5GHz frequency.

I suggest you concentrate on 802 b and g and move forward.
    Lux sit

Just burned his ISO

Well I know they are available in PCMCIA, I have them. Our cards have the Atheros chipset. We use them with kismet / Ubuntu. There are still many A networks out there. I can't just move on.

Default usb

OK... I don't know of a single USB device that will handle a b and g.

Pedantic!
    Lux sit

Just burned his ISO

Thanks! I have not been able to find one.

I guess if I want to use BT, I will not be able to run it in a VM.

Just burned his ISO

I don't know who even runs 802.11a, its mostly g and occasionally b. Get with the times.

One of the more popular cards around here is the Alfa AWUS036H, they are a USB card which supports full injection if needed and imo has great range for wardriving.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by PostalService View Post
    I don't know who even runs 802.11a, its mostly g and occasionally b. Get with the times.
    I am surprised to hear this from people on a pentest forum. When doing wireless assessments, we find rogue 802.11a networks all the time. So, yea, get with the times.

Default pcmcia

So stick with a laptop that has a pcmcia port to do 'a' testing.

Why do you reflect it back to bt...as if it were the fault of a collection of tools that you cannot find a usb type device? Your problem has nothing to do with the OS, with bt nor indeed with any of us...more a question of finding some hardware, no?
    Lux sit

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    So stick with a laptop that has a pcmcia port to do 'a' testing.

Why do you reflect it back to bt...as if it were the fault of a collection of tools that you cannot find a usb type device? Your problem has nothing to do with the OS, with bt nor indeed with any of us...more a question of finding some hardware, no?
    Show me where I "reflected it backed to BT"! I said no such thing, nor did I insinuate it. I was fine with the answer. It is what it is. I can use my Atheros cards on BT installed directly on a laptop.

What I wasn't fine with is being told to "move forward" or "get with the times".

Quote Originally Posted by PostalService View Post

One of the more popular cards around here is the Alfa AWUS036H, they are a USB card which supports full injection if needed and imo has great range for wardriving.
    I know of quite a few commercial applications of 802.11a, mostly used for back haul point to point connections. Not everybody on this forum is looking for, or working with that crap you can buy at circuit city. Just because "b", "g", and "n" show up after "a" in the alphabet doesn't make them better. As for a single usb product, don't think one exists. I've never seen an 802.11a usb product. You'll probably just have to give up an older laptop for backtrack.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast