Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: startx does not work

Just burned his ISO

Default startx does not work

here are my specs: I have an HP Pavilion G60-237NR notebook PC (widescreen), and no I don't know sh*t about it's hardware, sorry.
    I'm using BT3, since I don't like beta versions of things, if I can, I prefer to use the complete product, so I went with an earlier version.

here is my problem: I boot off the disk in BT3 Graphics mode, and login with root and pass toor just like the disk tells me to, then I use startx. I get the following:

"xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.6153

X window system version 1.3.0
    Release date: 19 april 2007
    X protocol version 11, revision 0, release 1.3
    Build operating system: slackware 12.0 slackware linux project
    Surrent operating system: linux bt 2.6.21.5 #4 SMP thru apr 10 04:23:56 GMT 2008 i686
    build date: 09 may 2007
    before reporting problems, check (link removed)
    to make sure that you have the latest version
    module loader present
    markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) log file: "/var/log/xorg.0.log",time: mon mar 16 12:00:12 2009
    (==) using config file: "/etc/x11/xorg.conf"
    (!!) module already built in
    (EE) VESA(0): no matching modes
    (EE) screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server:
    no screens found
    giving up.
    xinit: connection reset by peer (errno104): unable to connect to X server
    xinit: no such process (errno 3): server error."

help! I don't understand heads or tails of this crap! @_@

also, why don't you offer bit torrents that lead to the mirrors your ISOs and stuff are on? Just curious, because I'm on a public wifi connection (hense why I want to use backtrack, I need something stable damnit!), and it keeps dropping, so I can't just direct-download some massive 700 mb + files, but bit torrent lets you use those mirrors as "web seeds", so I could download from them using a .torrent file, so no matter how much my connection drops, I'd actually get it! I'm lucky I got the whole backtrack3 at all. and now I come to find, it won't freaking work.

For the sake of my curiosity, why do you think that bt3 would be somehow "more stable" on a public wifi connection?
    Anyhow, have you tried configuring xserver before loading the gui?

Quote Originally Posted by Gil2k View Post

also, why don't you offer bit torrents that lead to the mirrors your ISOs and stuff are on?
    Because bit-torrent is evil. At least that's what RIAA says.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Why don't you do your homework and use the search function of the forum?

That issue has been discussed so many times already.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post

and no I don't know sh*t about it's hardware, sorry.

If he does not care what type of hardware he has how can you expect him to use the search function?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Sometimes I still believe in miracles.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Sometimes I still believe in miracles.
    I know, but don't hold your breath
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

help! I don't understand heads or tails of this crap! @_@
    BT was built with a very specific purpose in mind. If you can't handle a simple forum search or read and make sense of an error message then chances are it is the wrong distro for you. Try Ubuntu.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

I just encountered this issue earlier today (trying to partition my AAO's 120gig drive but I want to keep Windows intact, so booted from bt3 to qpart the drive). I have a question for you, Gil2k: after selecting graphics mode do you get a message that says:
    You passed an undefined mode number.
    Press <RETURN> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue or wait 30 secs
    i end up having to hit RETURN, then enter 'scan', and then I enter one of the modes to get the video to work. maybe you have to do something similar?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Because bit-torrent is evil. At least that's what RIAA says.
    Well I say F*CK the RIAA, why would anyone be downloading this program unless they NEEDED it?? but we can't download it because our connection sucks!! *rolls eyes*

Quote Originally Posted by Chobin73 View Post
    For the sake of my curiosity, why do you think that bt3 would be somehow "more stable" on a public wifi connection?
    Anyhow, have you tried configuring xserver before loading the gui?
    I never said that, I said I couldn't download the goddamn ISO on public wifi!

Aha so instead of linking me to one of these places in question, you just basically tell me "use google" in more or less words... and besides, I don't usually use forums, this is the first one where someone just told me to use the search function, and didn't do anything to help like posting a link.. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    If he does not care what type of hardware he has how can you expect him to use the search function?
    Oh well EXCUSE ME for not being a tech wizard geek, if my lack of knowlege means I "don't care", then I must not care about ALOT OF THINGS!! and don't tell me I'm twisting your words, because that's JUST what you're telling me.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    BT was built with a very specific purpose in mind. If you can't handle a simple forum search or read and make sense of an error message then chances are it is the wrong distro for you. Try Ubuntu.
    and why can't you just friggin' post a link either? do all members here tell me "use google", and don't look for the post themselfs? I'm disappointed, I'd expect more from a forum full of people supposedly hacking wifi signals. :\ I'll use the search function, but still, I feel let down..

Quote Originally Posted by Rhuwme View Post
    I just encountered this issue earlier today (trying to partition my AAO's 120gig drive but I want to keep Windows intact, so booted from bt3 to qpart the drive). I have a question for you, Gil2k: after selecting graphics mode do you get a message that says:

i end up having to hit RETURN, then enter 'scan', and then I enter one of the modes to get the video to work. maybe you have to do something similar?
    Umm it just boots... it don't ask me to press anything until the interface prompts me for name and pass, which is root and toor, just like it says above. sorry, I don't know what you're talking about, I'm just trying desperately to figure this thing out.. and nobody wants to help.
    Watch, I'm sure they'll tell you to use the search function too.

I'm sorry if I seem at all rude or angry, but I AM angry. I expected to burn this to disk, boot off disk, enter something like "hack wifi signal", it gives me a list, I pick the signal to hack, and it ****ing HACKS IT. not this complicated crap, nor people sitting around saying "haha you're stupid for not using search function, everyone knows to use that", even though I AM BRAND NEW HERE!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast