Thread: BIOS tells: No system disk found, insert blablaba - no boot of first HD?

Default BIOS tells: No system disk found, insert blablaba - no boot of first HD?

Hello.

Yesterday I have installed SW12.2 on my old duron 900 Mhz PC.
    I have only one HD, 13 GB, and the installation ended up correctly.
    The lilo lies in the MBR ( as usual) and the first partition (about 6GB) is Slackware 12.2.

But this system does not boot.
    I can't explain why.... with booting-help ( inserting CD and typing the necessary command) the first HD starts.... but not without it.. badblocks also told me, that the hd has no damaged blocks in the mbr...... at least I hope, I have provided the right arguments) ... so what can it be?

I would like to create an LFS on that machine, which shall be my OS for a router/firewall-station).

Any suggestions?
    FIAT IUSTITIA ET PEREAT MUNDUS

Quote Originally Posted by me-$-on View Post
    Hello.

Yesterday I have installed SW12.2 on my old duron 900 Mhz PC.
    I have only one HD, 13 GB, and the installation ended up correctly.
    The lilo lies in the MBR ( as usual) and the first partition (about 6GB) is Slackware 12.2.

But this system does not boot.
    I can't explain why.... with booting-help ( inserting CD and typing the necessary command) the first HD starts.... but not without it.. badblocks also told me, that the hd has no damaged blocks in the mbr...... at least I hope, I have provided the right arguments) ... so what can it be?

I would like to create an LFS on that machine, which shall be my OS for a router/firewall-station).

Any suggestions?
    http://slackware.com/install/
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default Ok, thanks

but usually I thought, I know very well about the boot process....
    It ssems, as if it is a hardware failure..... and not an installation error......
    today I will reinstall lilo in the boot sector of my hd1..... just tio test it...
    It cannbe, that the mbr is complaining, and due to that there is no bootup from it.

Without trying to insult you, you should check the settings again and read up on how lilo works. Also you chould check with fdisk if your boot partition is bootable.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Default All of this things is done already,

it may sound like as if I am not so experienced to linux ( because of some other htreads ) but the fu ... ing boot processs kept me struggling for several times, as I remember, this is my 12th slackware installation........ and I was building multi-boot-lilos already.... all fine, and that is really strange.....and new to me.....

... I don't feel insulted, no matter...

But thx for everything.

So what does fdisk say?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Did you update your BIOS

Default Watch out:

My configuration :

A Master-HD on IDE-0 and a slave CD-ROM on IDE-0.
    A Master DVD on IDE-1.

I removed the slave drive from the cable and all worked fine.
    Until now......only one error occured......
    I had to use the xorgconfig, and I chose a too high resolution/refresh-rate from my monitor...... and I got a black screen, so I had to poweroff and restart.

Then the quick message occured:

Error while booting....

-
    I started again and had to run e2fsck manually... but then it ran.....

Yesterday I compiled and installed binutils and gcc for my lfs..... seems as if all works fine now. But with a 900 Mhz ( sorry, no Duron ) Athlon a SBU is quite long.

So : problem solved...... allright.

See ya next time, where the topic (surely) will be:

- LFS like backtrack and smoothwall combined, but smaller and quicker.