Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu vs Debian

Question Ubuntu vs Debian

I've been wondering: if BT4b is based off of Debian, why does it seem that Ubuntu is the preferred suggestion for Linux learning? I just succeeded in partitioning my AAO's hard drive and am sitting in the debian installer when this question dawned on me. I'm really hoping I can get a good understanding of this forum family's way of thinking through your responses. Thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhuwme View Post
    I've been wondering: if BT4b is based off of Debian, why does it seem that Ubuntu is the preferred suggestion for Linux learning? I just succeeded in partitioning my AAO's hard drive and am sitting in the debian installer when this question dawned on me. I'm really hoping I can get a good understanding of this forum family's way of thinking through your responses. Thanks for your time!
    Because the majority of clueless people that arrive here thinking that they'll just pop in the CD and use the big red magic "H4x0r 1t n0wz!" button need something as simple as Ubuntu. Personally I'm all for telling people to get a good handle on Windows before bothering with Linux at all (since a large majority of people can't even figure out that an ISO is), but most regular Windows users seem to think they know everything about Windows ... though I'm sure they'd be stumped by 99.9% of A++ content or Windows for Helpdesk 101 type questions. So I recommend Ubuntu because it has a huge user base and seems to be the most user friendly, for people who are "new to Linux".

http://www.remote-exploit.org/news.html
    Now based on Debian core packages and utilizing the Ubuntu software repositories...
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

there is a huuuuge community for ubuntu users and that apt-get indeed has supercow powers

Quote Originally Posted by Rhuwme View Post
    Back|Track 4 is based off Ubuntu, which is based off Debian. Ubuntu has one of the biggest fan bases of any of the linux distros.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default Easy

bt has used a number of OSs in the past.

ubuntu is a relatively friendly OS on which to learn and/or use linux.

The two are remotely connected.

If you are a beginner to Linux then ubuntu is a reasonable OS to use.

This is really a forum to support bt not ubuntu though some exposure to both might be found in some threads.
    Lux sit

based on ubuntu or kubuntu ?
    meaning do we have gnome ? ))

Quote Originally Posted by bluerratiq View Post
    based on ubuntu or kubuntu ?
    Sure, just apt-get install gnome, about ten minutes later, you have gnome!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by bluerratiq View Post
    Gnome is not a nice way to refer to short people.
    We like to be called Vertically Challenged.

Sin-cerely,
    Trol

Quote Originally Posted by webtrol View Post
    Gnome is not a nice way to refer to short people.
    We like to be called Vertically Challenged.

Sin-cerely,
    Trol

Well as to get back to the original question. It is possible but keep in mind that you won't be able to just do an apt-get install gnome and you'll be set.
    It will break the backtrack menu among other.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post

Well as to get back to the original question. It is possible but keep in mind that you won't be able to just do an apt-get install gnome and you'll be set.
    It will break the backtrack menu among other.
    Yea, but that's just a menu. Anybody can recreate the menu. Pretty sure all the apps will continue to work. If they require components of kde it will load them, as long as you don't uninstall kde, that might break things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast