Thread: John The Ripper...help

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default John The Ripper...help

hello, since i cant post any replys in other sections yet, i guess this will have to do. Im using bt3 through VMware. Im using JTR to make a password list. i have most of the commands down, i just cant get it to do everything i want at one time. trying to make a list thats alpha numeric, minlen of 8 maxlen of 15. when i try to just make a list of alpha stdout=8 it trys the ends up restarting bt3? y is this.

ive used the search and found the guide i think im looking for but i dont see anywhere to download it, just shows the table of contents. can someone help me out

thanks

Just burned his ISO

it might be useless for you to create a WL from 8 to 15..
    if I remember proper john cracks up to 8...I might be wrong though
    I didnt even know JTR can create WL..?! hows that?

Good friend of the forums

Quote Originally Posted by bigred8080 View Post
    hello, since i cant post any replys in other sections yet, i guess this will have to do. Im using bt3 through VMware. Im using JTR to make a password list. i have most of the commands down, i just cant get it to do everything i want at one time. trying to make a list thats alpha numeric, minlen of 8 maxlen of 15. when i try to just make a list of alpha stdout=8 it trys the ends up restarting bt3? y is this.

ive used the search and found the guide i think im looking for but i dont see anywhere to download it, just shows the table of contents. can someone help me out

thanks
    Use crunch instead. /pentest/password/crunch abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789 8 15

Use >wordlist.txt for the output.

WARNING the resulting file will be HUGE. Most programs can't use it as they are limited to reading 2GB filesizes

Quote Originally Posted by eddo87 View Post
    it might be useless for you to create a WL from 8 to 15..
    if I remember proper john cracks up to 8...I might be wrong though
    I didnt even know JTR can create WL..?! hows that?
    It can but it is not the right tool for this job. Crunch is much better suited to creating wordlists.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Quote Originally Posted by bigred8080 View Post
    hello, since i cant post any replys in other sections yet, i guess this will have to do. Im using bt3 through VMware. Im using JTR to make a password list. i have most of the commands down, i just cant get it to do everything i want at one time. trying to make a list thats alpha numeric,
    Ok so your characterset is 26+26+10 = 62 characters (remember CompSci 101, 1 character = 1 byte [8 bits]).
    minlen of 8 maxlen of 15.
    You want words of length 8-15 (we'll assume inclusive).
    when i try to just make a list of alpha stdout=8 it trys the ends up restarting bt3? y is this.

Lets do some simple math.

For your 8 character dictionary expect:
    62^8 = 2.18340106 × 10^14 Bytes or ~198.58 TeraBytes
    For your 9 character dictionary expect:
    62^9 = 1.35370865 × 10^16 Bytes or ~ 12,311.91 TeraBytes
    etc.

I doubt you can even store the 8 character dictionary file(s).

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    Use crunch instead. /pentest/password/crunch abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789 8 15
    Oh you were nice your alphanum list didn't include caps
    36^8 = 2,821,109,907,456 Bytes or 2.57 TeraBytes (might be able to store that but I still doubt it). [Forget about 9 thru 15 length]
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Ok so your characterset is 26+26+10 = 62 characters (remember CompSci 101, 1 character = 1 byte [8 bits]).You want words of length 8-15 (we'll assume inclusive).

Lets do some simple math.

For your 8 character dictionary expect:
    62^8 = 2.18340106 × 10^14 Bytes or ~198.58 TeraBytes
    For your 9 character dictionary expect:
    62^9 = 1.35370865 × 10^16 Bytes or ~ 12,311.91 TeraBytes
    etc.

I doubt you can even store the 8 character dictionary file(s).

Oh you were nice your alphanum list didn't include caps
    36^8 = 2,821,109,907,456 Bytes or 2.57 TeraBytes (might be able to store that but I still doubt it). [Forget about 9 thru 15 length]

Damn you Math!!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Hmmmm I think my math scared the OP away too
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Your calculations are off by a factor of 9. Using the quote above as an example, there are indeed 2,821,109,907,456 combinations using 8 characters and a 36 character set, but you're forgetting that each password combination is itself 8 characters long. You also need to add one byte per combination for the newline if we're talking disc space.

So, re-calculating gives us:

(36 ^ 8) * 9 = 25,389,989,167,104 = 23.09 TB

Maths - always ready to catch you out :-)