Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning Linux, what OS should I play with?

Default Learning Linux, what OS should I play with?

Hi!

I've been using backtrack for a few years for fun projects and stuff, but now I want to start learning linux more aggressively. I'm setting up a headless server in my basement to run a teamspeak server, as well as just to play on. I was wondering if I should use kubuntu since it used KDE like backtrack, or does it really matter?

Thanks!

Chandler
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
    -Willy Wonka-

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    Hi!

I've been using backtrack for a few years for fun projects and stuff, but now I want to start learning linux more aggressively. I'm setting up a headless server in my basement to run a teamspeak server, as well as just to play on. I was wondering if I should use kubuntu since it used KDE like backtrack, or does it really matter?

Thanks!

Chandler
    If it's going to be headless, use the ubuntu server edition, no gui at all. I'm sure there will be a few of the "ubuntu sucks" remarks about that, then there will be a few use gentoo, or linux from scratch if you really want to learn linux. Really when it comes down to it, use a linux version you are comfortable with, you'll learn more that way.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

I know far less about linux than most anyone here but if i had to do this i would either go with ubuntu server or more than likely Gentoo because from what i read its the distro that is the most easiest to learn about .. as in teaching you more about the functions of linux.

Personally i wish i had jumped onto another distro for atleast a week before snatching BT as there are so many times i have to stop and learn whats going on before i can even begin to use one of the tools.

btw isnt KDE a graphical front end ... if so why would you even want that since as you said its headless.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Play with all of them, best way to learn.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Play with all of them, best way to learn.
    Nothing better to try out different distros than with vmware server (or vmware desktop if you have the $). Check it out
    Code:
    www.vmware.com
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone."
    - Al Capone

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    or does it really matter?
    no it does not! Just play a bit with some different deb and rpm based linux distris ... after some time you will see with which one you feel more comfortable! If you wanted to learn the real basics and the system beyond rpm and deb than you can try gentoo and LFS ... but learn the basics before

hf
    m-1-k-3

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If it's going to be headless, use the ubuntu server edition, no gui at all. I'm sure there will be a few of the "ubuntu sucks" remarks about that, then there will be a few use gentoo, or linux from scratch if you really want to learn linux. Really when it comes down to it, use a linux version you are comfortable with, you'll learn more that way.
    Best answer yet, and it seems to have predicted the future posts in this tread.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

How confident are you generally with using linux from the command line? I found it helpful to have the GUI there when I started looking into linux so that I could check things and look things up if I got stuck on something.

Learn and love the command line. It is the tool of trade and what makes the big difference from Windows.

You can usually run a command without parameters to get a help shown or just use the command "man".
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by n95_8gb_guy View Post
    How confident are you generally with using linux from the command line? I found it helpful to have the GUI there when I started looking into linux so that I could check things and look things up if I got stuck on something.
    What can you use the gui to look up?
    Especially as KMDave mentioned there are man pages. More than likely there are man pages with every command that is installed on the system.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast