Thread: A Perfect Laptop/Netbook for Backtrack 3?

Hybrid View

Default A Perfect Laptop/Netbook for Backtrack 3?

Hi all

I'm new to these forums, BackTrack, and pretty new to Linux systems.

I'm thinking of getting a cheap small laptop that I would only use for system security testing using BackTrack. The laptop will be running BackTrack 3 exclusively, so I want to get a laptop that would be perfect in terms of compatibility right out of the box. I've done a lot of research on BackTrack drivers and it seems it's always either the Graphics Chip or the Wireless Card that cause problems. The lists on the Wiki seem to be pretty outdated, as I cannot find any of the perfectly compatible laptops listed there on sale in UK anymore!

My question is - could someone please direct me in the way of a 12"-15" laptop that would cost no more than £700 (1000$) (this is my absolute top, I'm really looking for something in the range of £400-£500) and who is 100% driver compatible with BackTrack?

I'm currently looking at Dell Latitude e5400 or one of the ThinkPads. However, please correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope I am, Intel WiFi 5100 and 5300 cards do not seem to be supported by BackTrack and the Graphics Chip cannot be fully utilized (i.e. achieve it's natural resolution).

*I've been thinking that maybe the WiFi card is not such a big issue, since I could always get a USB or PCMCIA external WiFi card that is definitely compatible with BackTrack, plug into the laptop and use it, right? Please, can anyone confirm this will work with BackTrack 3?

Thank you all in advance for you time and help!

Before getting big into business of pentesting and buying a laptop for it how about trying it out in a virtual machine? You might be more disappointed and have more issues than you'd like if you have no or little Linux experience.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

I'm running BackTrack 3 off a LiveCD at the moment on my Vista/Ubuntu running laptop, but the WiFi and the graphics chip aren't recognised. It looks like a real pain to get the hardware to work on Linux systems, especially BackTrack. I know that on the one hand I'd like to actually start using and learning BackTrack rather than spend days trying to get it to work properly, but on the other hand it's probably a useful exercise. No pain no gain I guess

The other reason for a new laptop is that I was thinking of building my own little LAN out of the two laptops I already own. Between them I can run Vista/Ubuntu/OS X/XP, so I think it would be ideal if I get a third laptop and use it solely for BackTrack and pentesting my own LAN. This would be ideal because I can't and don't want to just break into other people's systems =/. I'm doing Economics and Politics at University, so computers are just a hobby, although a pretty serious one.

What would you suggest? Run BackTrack off the LiveCD/USB for now and try to get the hardware to work? I guess I could buy an external WiFi card for my laptop and then BackTrack should work perfectly, right?

Quote Originally Posted by nka389 View Post
    Hi all

I'm new to these forums, BackTrack, and pretty new to Linux systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Before getting big into business of pentesting and buying a laptop for it how about trying it out in a virtual machine? You might be more disappointed and have more issues than you'd like if you have no or little Linux experience.
    C'mon people. He doesn't have a computer to use, he doesn't seem to know anything about IT security, he's new to Linux. Of course a CD with a collection of tools will magically turn him into an Uber IT Security Guru.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    C'mon people. He doesn't have a computer to use, he doesn't seem to know anything about IT security, he's new to Linux. Of course a CD with a collection of tools will magically turn him into an Uber IT Security Guru.
    Hey, it worked for, for.... Yea, I got nuthin'.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Maybe he found the big red magic "H4x0r 1t n0wz!" button
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

=/

I never said I want to be an "Uber IT Security Guru". Like I said - it's just a hobby. I heard about Ubuntu, then Linux, then different kinds of it and the found BackTrack. Thought it would be interesting to mess around with it and see how it works. I'm not planning on becoming a super/uber/leet hacker/cracker/whatever, I'm likely to spend my life in finance. =/

But I guess I just wasn't born with your super human abilities and this is so far beyond me I could never comprehend it, so there is no point for me to even try. Everyone has to start somewhere and so did you at some point, and I'm sure there are a lot of things in life you have no clue about, yet if you asked me for help with something, I'd help and not throw insults at you.

But from your responses I can at least gather that I should take a step back and think again. Thanks for that at least.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Maybe he found the big red magic "H4x0r 1t n0wz!" button
    Did streaker start to sell that stuff?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá