Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Booting Backtrack 4 from USB

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Booting Backtrack 4 from USB

Thanks for the help Raven_Rose. I did a startx and that got me in to what I was looking for. My problem is solved, but if you want more information on my install, I followed the instructions in the HOWTO section on a Windows 7 Professional OS.

Actually, it booted
    My doubt is if 300 MB are enough
    I'm Winston Wolf, I solve problems

Thanks for the help Raven_Rose. I did a startx and that got me in to what I was looking for
    So Zac, am l missing something here.How did what Mr Wolf and l said differ from what Raven_Rose said.l'm a bit mystified!!! And after l suggested the same thing l get a put-down from ArchAngel. lol.

I don't know why, but the behoviour of the live DVD differs from computer to computer
    For example, in one of mine, a Toshiba Tecra S1, BackTrack won't even boot!
    In my Toshiba Satellite Pro, as I said, I'm not asked for username and password
    But I read it should
    I'm Winston Wolf, I solve problems

jimmy - I don't think ArchAngel was commenting on your instructions per se. I think he was pointing out that it's probably best if you implement password protection on your boot process...

<edit> not to mention the subtle suggestion to create a user account and not run as root... </edit>

Mr. Wolf - 300MB should be enough, but that depends on what kind and how many files you want to persist through boot. If you want to persist tons of .jpg or .mp3 files, then maybe not. If you want to persist Kismet configurations, etc. then 300MB should be plenty.
    Last edited by hypervista; 03-04-2010 at 03:15 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Yeah I also installed bt4 on my usb the exact same way hack5 showed, mainly because I have close to no idea of what i was doing. I do not understand the complete file system of the OS but I'm trying learning it. Anyways i also get automatic login to root access and at first that really threw me off, i mean that is a major security issue because the entire drive can be hijacked through physical means but i understand why it happened. I'm basically using the live CD + persistent changes ( I'm not sure how it works but i suppose I get the logic of whats happening.) Live cd auto root access for tryout purposes and persistent changes is a script perhaps that auto writes everything to the Casper folder? (Just my guess, correct if I'm wrong which i may well be)

1.) Any how If anyone knows a way to change automatic root login which I'm sure can be done, please advise.
    2.) Also does anyone know how to modify the system files to make the drive work on all computers, as opposed to just mine?

Thanks for the help if anyone has the time to help.
    For reference #2 I read somewhere about UUID's I guess thats a signature of each Linux install and can be used to successfully boot the OS on any computer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12