Thread: PT4 persistent USB is portable?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question PT4 persistent USB is portable?

So nice & quick to have BT available on bootable USB. >> However, the 'changes' location -- as assigned in syslinux.cfg ... "APPEND ..... changes=/dev/sdb2" ... for example -- mean that a change in the boot machine's drive configuration, perhaps adding another USB attached drive -- means that the /dev/sdb2 assignment may no longer be valid, as the other USB drive may now be /dev/sdb2 and BT may be /dev/sdc2.

Tell me I am not seeing this correctly-- I would love to have a truly portable BT4 USB drive.

mukt1a

My friend and I noticed this when we were doing the persistant changes. I think you can actually refer to the partition by its given name (we used CHANGES). We also tried the UUID but that didn't work..

I've since gotten rid of my usb stick for a hard drive install, so I'll try and contact my friend for the syntax we used. I'll get back to you later today hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by mukt1a View Post
    So nice & quick to have BT available on bootable USB. >> However, the 'changes' location -- as assigned in syslinux.cfg ... "APPEND ..... changes=/dev/sdb2" ... for example -- mean that a change in the boot machine's drive configuration, perhaps adding another USB attached drive -- means that the /dev/sdb2 assignment may no longer be valid, as the other USB drive may now be /dev/sdb2 and BT may be /dev/sdc2.

Tell me I am not seeing this correctly-- I would love to have a truly portable BT4 USB drive.

mukt1a
    Just boot up without the changes to see what the drive is going to be called, then change your syslinux.cfg . Also, could you try not using the dark blue, it's really hard to read with the dark background.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Yea the dark blue makes it hard, I had to highlight it to read it.

Unfortunately I was informed, and I'm surprised I didn't remember, that the label thing didn't work. So scratch that idea.

Good friend of the forums

the BT initrd doesn't support booting using root=LABEL or root=UUID. However Ubuntu does so all you have to do is make a new initrd and use it.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss