Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attempt to install Firefox 3.0.6BG not successfull: GTK also erased.

Default Attempt to install Firefox 3.0.6BG not successfull: GTK also erased.

Hello.
    I made a big mistake..... as it seems.
    I wanted to install one of the latest firefox versions and found 3.0.6BG in a .tgz.

Wonderful.
    I installed it and it automatically upgraded the existing version 2.0... which was delivered with bt2 final.

Ok, but when I tried to start it, I got the answer , that I need at least the GTK+2.10, but I had 2.8 ( so ut seemed)...... so I downloaded the following package:

gtk+2-2.14.7-i486-1

from

http://packages.slackware.it/browse....nt/slackware/l.

I used pkgtool to install it and after a new start of firefox 3 I got a message, that the library gtgio.so.0.1 or something is missing.

Why?

Thought...... it should be complete..... or.... this kind of files often are some kind of softlinks....

I uninstalld ff3 ( strange, all ff versions disappeared), I uninstalled GTK2.14 and I uninstalled GTK2.8.....

That was my biggest error, I suppose.... now even my konqueror cannot connect to the internet.......... because an assertion to an icon fails.....

How can I repair that?

I would like to install ff3-the latest with the right GTK.... but in the right way, not again, shiat, why have I deleted my old gtk........

What would be the best way?

THX in advance.
    FIAT IUSTITIA ET PEREAT MUNDUS

Are you really trying to install this in BT2!!??
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default oh, yes

I now read all about the gtk specs and dependencies ........ and now I will install the newest gtk with all its necessary dependencies..
    Its my problem, because if I had known, not to remove the old gtk I would never use this mistake to update to a complete new gtk with ff3...
    but now, that I have come that far... what else should I do?

Waiting for bt4f still keeps killing me.....

Quote Originally Posted by me-$-on View Post
    I now read all about the gtk specs and dependencies ........ and now I will install the newest gtk with all its necessary dependencies..
    Its my problem, because if I had known, not to remove the old gtk I would never use this mistake to update to a complete new gtk with ff3...
    but now, that I have come that far... what else should I do?

Waiting for bt4f still keeps killing me.....
    Just use the beta, it's actually pretty damn stable. I think the only reason to call it a beta is because all the apps aren't in it yet.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default Thanks a lot.....

for this information.......
    perhaps You could give me more details..... they call it a beta, because WHICH apps are not in it?

All those "security" applications or all X applications?

My solution for my mentioned problem was bt3 final..... I have installed it now and will work with that....

By the way, I want to use bt4f for the following issue:

Got a cable modem for my internat access... and an old duron 900Mhz, which shall be used as a kind of gateway......
    I will install another nic and I want to connect one nic to the modem and the other nic to my laptop, which will be used for browsing the internet.

And I want the duron machine to be a security-gate, means, all traffic going through that form my laptop to the www or vice versa shall be

- filtered
    - monitored
    - analysed
    -
    -
    Seems as if I need a good network-traffic scanner and an intrusion detection system....... and I want to monitor the packets in a way,so that I can read their contents, either in clear text or in assembly instructions ( depending on what the incoming and outgouing packets mainly consist of).....

What could I use for that purpose?

THX in advance.

for this information.......
    perhaps You could give me more details..... they call it a beta, because WHICH apps are not in it?

All those "security" applications or all X applications?

My solution for my mentioned problem was bt3 final..... I have installed it now and will work with that....

By the way, I want to use bt4f for the following issue:

Got a cable modem for my internat access... and an old duron 900Mhz, which shall be used as a kind of gateway......
    I will install another nic and I want to connect one nic to the modem and the other nic to my laptop, which will be used for browsing the internet.

And I want the duron machine to be a security-gate, means, all traffic going through that form my laptop to the www or vice versa shall be

- filtered
    - monitored
    - analysed
    -
    -
    Seems as if I need a good network-traffic scanner and an intrusion detection system....... and I want to monitor the packets in a way,so that I can read their contents, either in clear text or in assembly instructions ( depending on what the incoming and outgouing packets mainly consist of).....

What could I use for that purpose?

THX in advance.
    Uhh, it would be the "security" applications. BT isn't made to be an every day use os. There's also a thread around here for router/firewall operating systems, I'd use one of them. I'm still puzzled why you started this thread in the BT2 Final section.

Default Bacause

my first issue was to revive bt2 instead of installing bt3........ but as I felt how difficult it is to provide all dependencies correctly and after almost every configure script endet with "error, no makefile was produced" or similar messages, I refused to revive it and installed bt3.

And this security issue is just an idea, I had just in time, so I thought, it would not be necessary to open an new thread.......
    or should I do it now, just to ask You, which applications I would need to monitor and filter?

(I will first look for this thread, You mentioned)...........

my first issue was to revive bt2 instead of installing bt3........ but as I felt how difficult it is to provide all dependencies correctly and after almost every configure script endet with "error, no makefile was produced" or similar messages, I refused to revive it and installed bt3.

And this security issue is just an idea, I had just in time, so I thought, it would not be necessary to open an new thread.......
    or should I do it now, just to ask You, which applications I would need to monitor and filter?

(I will first look for this thread, You mentioned)...........
    My firewall box is running the smoothwall linux distro. It's running snort for the ids, and some custom scripts to drop packets from abusive ip's for an hour or two.

Default ok, thanks.

So. Smoothwall, eh?

Express 3.0 Sp1.... around 90 GB?

Thats really a VERY small distrobution..... really for small routers.

I have a personal computer and I would prefer those functionalities of smoothwall with visual components, like backtrack it has.

Would like to use it more active..... seems as if the smoothwall is more or less a passive distro. Or not?

So. Smoothwall, eh?

Express 3.0 Sp1.... around 90 GB?

Thats really a VERY small distrobution..... really for small routers.

I have a personal computer and I would prefer those functionalities of smoothwall with visual components, like backtrack it has.

Would like to use it more active..... seems as if the smoothwall is more or less a passive distro. Or not?
    For the most part it's a set it and forget it thing. It's pretty much all configured from a web browser, there's no x windows installed. You could install a passive tap in between that and the rest of your network and have your backtrack machine sniff from the tap if you want to actively watch everything. I just have better uses for my time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast