Thread: Alfa AWUS036H (rtl8187) - Can't connect via WEP

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Alfa AWUS036H (rtl8187) - Can't connect via WEP

Hi Guys,

I'm happily testing out the awesome BT4 via VMWare and finding it's a superb improvement over BT3. Everything seems to run faster and feels slicker.

Anyway, I'm using an Alfa AWUS036H via USB and so far everything is working just like it did in BT3. Packet injection works a treat and I have successfully broken a test WEP key on my local router.

However, I'm finding I can't connect to any WEP secured routers (I've tried two so far). I setup the connection using iwconfig:

iwconfig wlan0 essid "accesspoint" key s:test

I then bring the interface up (ifconfig wlan0 up) but it just won't associate. I have tried setting the connection properties via iwconfig in numerous ways but to no avail.

Syslog is showing this error:

Mar 16 12:04:55 bt kernel: wlan0: associated
    Mar 16 12:04:55 bt kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
    Mar 16 12:04:55 bt kernel: wlan0: disassociating by local choice (reason=3)
    Mar 16 12:04:57 bt kernel: wlan0: privacy configuration mismatch and mixed-cell disabled - disassociated

The lines in bold seem to be the problem. It is actually associating but then decides to disassociate due to the mixed-cell disabled problem.

Any idea what this means and how to solve it? I've done numerous searches on Google but only seem to find the odd post. Although this does come up alot on Ubuntu forums so I wonder if it's a Ubuntu problem?

Is there a driver update I can perform for the rtl8187 chipset that might help?

I can't connect to wep either and I have the same alfa. I have tried this in vmware and a usb install with no luck. I am attempting to connect with a hex key if that matters.

I'm using the network manager and I've connected to WPA2 just fine.

Check out my tut in the How-To section here

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bt4...rks-n00bs.html

If that doesnt work you can always revert to the old ieee bt3 drivers ... i also have a guide on that in the How-To section here

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bt4...k3-fakeap.html

In short tho yes you can connect to wep networks with the rtl8187 drivers but you can NOT connect to wpa networks with the r8187 drivers.

I also want to point out that the new drivers are buggy as hell sometimes and im required to unplug / replug to get everything working. Supposedly they are redesigning them but i haven't a clue on the timeline or even the project name.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Great man, thanks for the response and I will try your suggestions out. I have noticed that the drivers were a bit buggy as well. Usually an unplug and replug gets it back up like you said.

I have this adapter I use the following:

for dyn address:
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 essid <your essid here>
    iwconfig wlan0 channel <your channel here>
    iwconfig wlan0 key <your key here>
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    dhclient wlan0
    for static IP assignment:
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 essid <your essid here>
    iwconfig wlan0 channel <your channel here>
    iwconfig wlan0 key <your key here>
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    ifconfig wlan0 192.168.2.30/24 (CIDR FORMAT YOU CAN'T ADD A SUBNET MASK)
    route add default gw 192.168.2.1 (or your gateway if different)
    echo nameserver 192.168.2.1 > /etc/resolv.conf
    this works fine everytime, just one exception was after test-cracking my wep key when dhclient wouldn't work had to manually assign an address. But other than that fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
    typing "key s:test" is unneccesary if you have the key in ASCII form just "key test" will do. I cant say with certainty as any key I have cracked has always been in ASCII but I believe you use the "s:" for HEX encrypted ones.

Just burned his ISO

Default VMware from offensive security Bugy

Quote Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm happily testing out the awesome BT4 via VMWare and finding it's a superb improvement over BT3. Everything seems to run faster and feels slicker.

Anyway, I'm using an Alfa AWUS036H via USB and so far everything is working just like it did in BT3. Packet injection works a treat and I have successfully broken a test WEP key on my local router.

However, I'm finding I can't connect to any WEP secured routers (I've tried two so far). I setup the connection using iwconfig:

I then bring the interface up (ifconfig wlan0 up) but it just won't associate. I have tried setting the connection properties via iwconfig in numerous ways but to no avail.

Syslog is showing this error:

Mar 16 12:04:55 bt kernel: wlan0: associated
    Mar 16 12:04:55 bt kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
    Mar 16 12:04:55 bt kernel: wlan0: disassociating by local choice (reason=3)
    Mar 16 12:04:57 bt kernel: wlan0: privacy configuration mismatch and mixed-cell disabled - disassociated

The lines in bold seem to be the problem. It is actually associating but then decides to disassociate due to the mixed-cell disabled problem.

Any idea what this means and how to solve it? I've done numerous searches on Google but only seem to find the odd post. Although this does come up alot on Ubuntu forums so I wonder if it's a Ubuntu problem?

Is there a driver update I can perform for the rtl8187 chipset that might help?
    I downloaded the vmware from offensive security and it gave me issues related to the alfa 36h. I saw all the WIFI as WEP and with very low link and unable to get an IP even if they were open
    Once i created my own VM and it works OK!!

Saludos