Thread: Anybody know of any good Teach yourself C++ books.

Hybrid View

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Default Anybody know of any good Teach yourself C++ books.

Hey guys,

I've been trying to learn a bit of c++ and would like to know if anybody knows of any good starting - intermediate books ?.

I have started to read sams teach yourself c++ in one hour a day and its quite cool I'm up to chapter five now and been reading about buffer overflows etc but I need more input !!! lol

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

I have used this website: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
    to get a B in my 8 week C++ class.

Currently I am learning Python in my own spare time, Flash CS3 in class, CSS in class, Web Page Programming (HTML+Java) in class and Spanish in class.

I can't wait to graduate: one more class, PHP scripting.

Just burned his ISO

One more vote for: cplusplus.com
    Feel the sound, listen colours ...

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Thanks for your replies guys, That site looks cool I might download the pdf and print it because I get some wicked headaches reading text from the screen for too long.

suena como que está haciendo un grado similar como yo oktet Good luck with that.

Yo amor tu Bluetooth videos.

It's fun to challenge your mind every now and then.

"I get some wicked headaches reading text from the screen for too long."
    Wow, I take it-you spend a lot of serious time on the computer, the only thing that happened to me is my vision got messed up-damn computer, now I have to wear expensive prescription eye glasses.

If your still looking, I really like books from wrox. I got a php book from them and pretty much learned it all myself. it was a great starting point, but I eventually got a bunch of books from different authors/publishers and learned a ton. I would really recommend going to your bookstore (Barns and Nobel for me) and just sitting down and reading some of the books about it. Look for one that you will enjoy reading. I, for the most part, can't stand O'Reily books, it is like reading a microsoft white paper. The last time I counted I think I have about 20 books just on web programming and a growing collection on networking and information security.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

I would NOT recommend using cplusplus.com, there's a lot of stuff on that site that's not standard, and also there's stuff that's just plain wrong.

I learned C++ from "C++ for Dummies", and found it pretty good. There might be better books for learning, I dunno, but C++ for Dummies was pretty good.

If you want an online reference for the C++ standard library, go to http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/default.aspx (Every other online reference is wrong)

After you've gotten the basics of C++, you can master it by reading "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup (that's the guy who actually created the language).

...oh oh I just forgot something. Currently, there's a new standard of C++ being developed, and it's due to be released this year I think, so there's gonna be some new features in the language, and it will be about another 2 years before Bjarne's book is updated to reflect the new features.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Default Name of PHP book?

Quote Originally Posted by Polorboy View Post
    If your still looking, I really like books from wrox. I got a php book from them and pretty much learned it all myself.

What was the name of the PHP book?