Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Websense

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I wouldn't recommend sidestepping (read breaking) the rules is a better course of action either.
    Agreed. But sometimes there just gets a point where it's just too much. To tell the truth, I think they just have their proxy configured incorrectly and its causing problems, actual downtime. But I can't call and let them know because that would screw over all the people who need to bypass the proxy to use google maps to figure out how to get around, or to look something up that is completely work related.

And i'll tell you what, I wish I knew who did figure out how to get around these things, there are some smart individuals where I work.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm View Post
    Agreed. But sometimes there just gets a point where it's just too much. To tell the truth, I think they just have their proxy configured incorrectly and its causing problems, actual downtime. But I can't call and let them know because that would screw over all the people who need to bypass the proxy to use google maps to figure out how to get around, or to look something up that is completely work related.

And i'll tell you what, I wish I knew who did figure out how to get around these things, there are some smart individuals where I work.
    Hmm, the last person at my office that felt that they could just go around and do what they wanted on the internet, found that they didn't have a job, after I showed their webbrowsing logs to their boss.

But by all means, keep doing what you're doing, I'm sure they don't care if you're bypassing their authority. Chances are, they don't have an AUP in place that you agreed to. After all, System Admins really like it when employees think they can do whatever they damn well please. We seldom, if ever really go after people doing such things.

/sarcasm
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    But by all means, keep doing what you're doing, I'm sure they don't care if you're bypassing their authority. Chances are, they don't have an AUP in place that you agreed to. After all, System Admins really like it when employees think they can do whatever they damn well please. We seldom, if ever really go after people doing such things.
    /sarcasm
    I caught you were I work then you would be without a job.
    I am sure that if the OP were to submit a proposal to the proper channels they could get a change in the policy made. Sure it might take a while but then again maybe not.
    Of course I disagree with some of the rules we have in place but there is a reason for them. Starting at the beginning of this year we are no longer allowed to have cell phones w/ cameras on them.
    Yeah that was a great plan to implement right after the Christmas holiday.
    But in government contracting we have to take every measure we can, to help ensure our customer (U.S. military) is protected.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

lol. You can't exactly call up NMCI and request that anything be unblocked, especially what they would consider a "hacking" site. heck if im not mistaken, the process for getting access to a blocked site is... complicated to say the least. It would likely require contacting someone with a star on their collar, and I can assure you, it wouldn't get out of my office.

I understand that not everyone works in an orginization like mine, but lets cut the BS, requesting an exception isn't always the best course of action these days.
    Evading NMCI's proxies is not a good idea. Just trust me on this one.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Well, I defiantly understand where you guys are coming from, I'm not suggesting that people be allowed to go wherever they like. But, imagine you were in China where they have "The Great Firewall". As far as NMCI policies go. When I origianly came to where I work, there were guidelines posted that said what you could and couldn't do. They were pretty fair. But the system wasn't set up to allow you to do the things you wanted to do.

We all know that not every policy is right and there are things that are blocked when they don't need to be. I also realize that we(people I work with) cant go around bypassing the system all the time. Which is why I only do so when I believe it necessary.

i'll even tell you this story from when I was in high school. I was trying to go to a religious site at school that I had previously been to, I was a member and what not. Eventually it was blocked under the "cults" category because it wasn't one of the "main" religions, i.e. Christianity.com wasn't blocked. A cult is by definition "a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies."

I understand what they were trying to do, but buy not blocking all religious sites they were discriminating. So I tryied the correct way, I talked to the administration. Nothing. Then when a member of the school board came to the school, I spoke to her. The site was unblocked for a few weeks before it was blocked again. Finally the Superintendent came to the school for something. I spoke to him and he expressed interest in the situation. I don't remember what happened after that but the point is, like I said, the policy is not always in the best interest of the people.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

But the system wasn't set up to allow you to do the things you wanted to do.
    you are right the system is setup for the company to make money, nothing more nothing less. This is what it is about not you and your personal interest. Good, bad, or ugly that's the way it is.
    I also realize that we(people I work with) cant go around bypassing the system all the time. Which is why I only do so when I believe it necessary.
    Based on this statement then it should also be alright for you to sell drugs on the street corner if you need to feed your children, as opposed to getting a legitimate and legal job. I mean come on they are your kids right? Besides you wouldn't do it all the time.

like I said, the policy is not always in the best interest of the people.
    Your version of the "best interest of the people" is not the same as the management's view of things. Again refer to the above. The management and their decision/s are based on the bottom line ( read profits) not what you deem as socially acceptable. Like I stated from the beginning if you want to get something changed write up a decent proposal on why it would benefit the company to allow you and or others to access certain sites and submit it to the proper channels. If it does not work try again. I am not sure but maybe your company has an open door policy (that allows you to speak with upper management about work related issues without reprisal).

Also be careful with the religious talk it is against the rules.

On another note I am not trying to pick on you or anything, but rather just trying to put this into another light. I work in a management position for a large defense contractor. Like I stated before the company had to restrict the use of cell phones on all company property. Now lets look at this a bit deeper. First no one is allowed the devices but management all have blackberries. Now these things have cameras but they are OK ( according to the suits above me). These are company property and as such can be audited and controlled more. Now imagine you have to explain to your employees that they can not longer have cameras, but you can.
    It plain sucks but hey that's the price one pays in order to eat.

Sorry for the long post but I hope you get my point on the matter.
    Good luck
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Well, I defiantly understand where you guys are coming from, I'm not suggesting that people be allowed to go wherever they like. But, imagine you were in China where they have "The Great Firewall". As far as NMCI policies go. When I origianly came to where I work, there were guidelines posted that said what you could and couldn't do. They were pretty fair. But the system wasn't set up to allow you to do the things you wanted to do.

We all know that not every policy is right and there are things that are blocked when they don't need to be. I also realize that we(people I work with) cant go around bypassing the system all the time. Which is why I only do so when I believe it necessary.

i'll even tell you this story from when I was in high school. I was trying to go to a religious site at school that I had previously been to, I was a member and what not. Eventually it was blocked under the "cults" category because it wasn't one of the "main" religions, i.e. Christianity.com wasn't blocked. A cult is by definition "a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies."

I understand what they were trying to do, but buy not blocking all religious sites they were discriminating. So I tryied the correct way, I talked to the administration. Nothing. Then when a member of the school board came to the school, I spoke to her. The site was unblocked for a few weeks before it was blocked again. Finally the Superintendent came to the school for something. I spoke to him and he expressed interest in the situation. I don't remember what happened after that but the point is, like I said, the policy is not always in the best interest of the people.
    You can try to rationalize your actions all you want. But in the end it comes down to that you're not following the policies that are in place, and it could eventually come to bite you in the ass. I don't know about you, but in the current economy I don't think I'd be doing anything that would risk my job, especially as a young person just starting out (as it seems you might be).

If there are sites that are needed for you to do your job, then regardless of what the hassle is you should follow the proper procedure to get those sites accessible. Doing otherwise is just plain dumb. We are trying to help you understand that it isn't a good idea to bypass controls that are in place, you may not get caught today or tomorrow, but sometime you will probably get caught.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Got the point. Thank you all.

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

This isn't the sentiment I would expect from this forum. I don't know his exact circumstances, only that he is requesting help in bypassing a proxy filter. In my job of pen-testing, this is the first thing I do when I'm on-site. I don't want their IT people snooping on my browsing or seeing what tools I'm downloading. If I asked this very question I would hope to get an answer, not legal posturing and discouragement. I mean, he already said his superior has no problem with him bypassing it. I use remote-exploit forums for reference all the time. When I search on a specific topic I like to see solutions!

William

Default well said Williamc

Was just after some info or greater knowlegde, think some people are staying up too late or getting old or both, i work hard in work and from time to time i browse the net, tell u what though some lazy bstrds do sod all most of the day`and are better payed so i'll b buggered if i work non stop. if we use ultra vnc for troubleshooting users remotely wouldn't think a connection to my home pc would stand out.
    My Blog
    http://hackingmidasgold.blogspot.com
    Some days i feel like King Midas in Reverse - everything i touch turns to sh*t...............

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast