Thread: Connecting to my own wireless network

Just burned his ISO

Cool Connecting to my own wireless network

Hey everyone, when I try to connect to my own wireless network in my house with Wicd Manager it gives me the message, "This networks requires encryption to be enable". So what should I do to fix this. Thanks

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Default Re: Connecting to my own wireless network

If you get the message "This network requires encryption to be enabled." hit OK, then click the arrow next to the network name.
    1.) Hit the "Advanced Settings" button.
    2.) Check the "Use Encryption" checkbox, choose your encryption type and type in the key.
    3.) Hit OK.
    I may have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but it does not mean I like to be spoon fed.

I tried this method, but it will not let me connect to my wireless. I am only able to conect to my neighbor's unsecured connection (wasn't my intention) For some reason it will not connect to me encrypted network.

Quote Originally Posted by BushRat View Post
    I tried this method, but it will not let me connect to my wireless. I am only able to conect to my neighbor's unsecured connection (wasn't my intention) For some reason it will not connect to me encrypted network.
    Leaving aside how you got access to a correct key for your neighbors wireless network, I dont think that this can really be put any other way than how skinnypuppy has already said it. That is how you use wicd to connect to a encrypted wireless network. If its not working, you have either entered the key or the encryption type incorrectly. Try again.

If that doesnt work you will have to configure your wireless card at the command line. (Find how by asking Google).
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

The guy said "UNSECURED NETWORK" lupin. Why would he need a key for that.
    Last edited by jimmy; 02-26-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    ...and the point of your post is? Not only was it probably a typo, but the post still is valid that if the OP was able to access their neighbores wireless through wicd, then they should have no problem with their own network.

Regardless of whether it's unsecured or not, it was more meant as being frowned on for accessing a network that's not theirs.

Anyways, the answer is in post #2 OP.

The point being it's a false accusation ,and l don't think it was a TYPO. But l see your point otherwise Lincoln.

Lupin & Lincoln:

Yes, it was open network, and yes, I do have permission. As I was trying to say, I cannot conect to my encrypted network. If I wanted to do something illegal, I would use open network and not even mention it on this forum (according to the rules of the Forum)

Anyway, I am using VMWare BT4. On my network, I have WPA-PSK and I am sure that I am typing in my own password properly. For some reason, VM version will not let me connect to encrypted network(s), but will allow open ones. Once I tried botting up LiveDVD, I was able to connect to my WPA. It appears that I cannot connect thru VMWare. I'll need to dig around to see if any of the settings need to be adjusted.

I apologize if my post started heated discussion...

Just burned his ISO

Who is still dumb enough to have a unsecured network, very silly!!

He wouldnt. I apologise OP, for any offense I might have caused. I was thrown by the context of the thread, talking about not being able to connect to an encrypted network and then mentioning connecting to a unsecured network. I must have skipped over the word unsecured, or assumed that the OP was using the term incorrectly (which is not uncommon for this forum, for technical terms to be used incorrectly, but is was an unfair assumption for me to have made in this case). What can I say, Im human, and I sometimes make mistakes, but no infractions were handed down in this case so I think minimal harm was done.

Thanks for the light touch you used in pointing out this mistake jimmy. It was very diplomatic of you. I especially liked the snarky little comment you edited out of your original post.
    Last edited by lupin; 02-27-2010 at 12:46 PM.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.