Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The newb horde flood.

Hybrid View

Default The newb horde flood.

Did the average IQ suddenly drop in the last few months? I've seen more questions that have been already answered in the last month than I have since I registered here. I don't remember it being this bad when we went from BT2 to BT3. Are the schools failing so bad that people just don't have proper research skills? It's getting so that I cringe when I hit the New Posts button. I know I'm going to find a half dozen different threads on "How do I install BT4", or "How do I crack WEP/WPA". I just don't get it.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

People just got more lazy. I think it also has to do with people are becomming more ignorant. They just want to be told what to do, what to think and how to behave. People got afraid of making decisions, trying out and making a mistake.

And yeah you are right the transition from BT2 to BT3 has been way better in terms of stupid questions than BT3 to BT 4.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Did the average IQ suddenly drop in the last few months? I've seen more questions that have been already answered in the last month than I have since I registered here. I don't remember it being this bad when we went from BT2 to BT3. Are the schools failing so bad that people just don't have proper research skills? It's getting so that I cringe when I hit the New Posts button. I know I'm going to find a half dozen different threads on "How do I install BT4", or "How do I crack WEP/WPA". I just don't get it.
    I'm totally with you Barry.
    Moreover a lot of questions/threads/requests are not BT related, they are related to very basic linux stuff like X-Server topics, sound issues, paket management, and so on.
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Barry; I agree with what you are saying. But, since the search capability on the site is a bit lacking, I try to err on the side of "maybe they tried to search and got lost among all the returns". I know, probably not realistic, but I try to give the benefit of the doubt.

This may be a good time to re-post the link to Shamen's BackTrack Support Engine, which (for the benefit of any new members who are reading this) is a very nice search capability that uses Google to search this site, returning a better selection of hits for your query. It was created by forum member Shamen Virtuel.

Here is the LINK to that search engine

For new members reading this, please make good use of it before posting questions that have been answered 100 times already.

I am working on a tutorial for total noobs but I am not sure if it is even worth the effort.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    I am working on a tutorial for total noobs but I am not sure if it is even worth the effort.
    That's a good idea. Tell me if you need help
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Might take your offer I think I will finally have the very first part ready for a public preview and get some more ideas and feedback.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    Barry; I agree with what you are saying. But, since the search capability on the site is a bit lacking, I try to err on the side of "maybe they tried to search and got lost among all the returns". I know, probably not realistic, but I try to give the benefit of the doubt.

This may be a good time to re-post the link to Shamen's BackTrack Support Engine, which (for the benefit of any new members who are reading this) is a very nice search capability that uses Google to search this site, returning a better selection of hits for your query. It was created by forum member Shamen Virtuel.

Here is the LINK to that search engine

For new members reading this, please make good use of it before posting questions that have been answered 100 times already.
    Yea, I can see that, but they should have at least put some effort into it first. You know, put what they've tried in the post, that way we can nudge them in the right direction. It's shit like this that I'm talking about.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

I think the post about WPA is also part of it. It is just painful to read all the same questions over and over and seeing that noone puts any effort into trying to solve it.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yea, I can see that, but they should have at least put some effort into it first. You know, put what they've tried in the post, that way we can nudge them in the right direction. It's shit like this that I'm talking about.
    Yep! Saw that myself and was all set for a reply when I remember my mother saying "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"...so I bit my tongue and ignored it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast