Thread: Proxim card - worked in BT3, but not in BT4

Just burned his ISO

Default Proxim card - worked in BT3, but not in BT4

Greetings all

I have a Proxim 8470-WD b/g card that has worked fine in every other version of BackTrack.

I've recently downloaded BT4 and followed the How-To to install it to the hard drive.

I use BackTrack pretty much for wireless work only, but I cannot get anything to work that needs the card in monitor mode.

I have tried searching the forums, but I get so many hits on 'atheros' 'madwifi' etc that I disappear up my own backend, and a lot of them refer to previous versions, which is not my concern.

I'm guessing it is a driver issue, but I don't really know how to identify which drivers are in use, or how to update/renew/patch them to the ones I need. If I know which ones I needed I'd have a go at doing so.

I thought initially something may have gone awry during the install, but I have the same issue with the live cd.

Following other advice I have seen on the forums I have looked at the result of 'lspci' in BT3 and 4 and the output is slightly different -

BT3 identifies the card as Atheros 5212, but BT4 has it as AR5001+, but I don't have a clue who's correct, though I'd got for BT3 since that works. 'lsmod' also shows slightly different output.

Am I just being impatient with BT4 (I know it's only beta), I just want to succeed with it as I just battled with it to get it full screen on my little old laptop.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

madwifi-ng is the driver used on bt3 and versions before hand as it depends on ieee80211 stack. It also requires propriatory HAL.

ath5k (which is the driver that is available on BT4b or on kernels 2.6.24+) depends on mac80211 stack and was said to work much better than madwifi-ng. ath5k can normally be enabled when configuring what to build with kernel.

Both of these drivers will work however their interface naming will be different along with any injection patches, etc.

Just burned his ISO

So are you saying my card needs the madwifi-ng driver, or that I need to patch the ath5k driver to make it work?

Is it that my card is old hat and so I won't find so much support for it anymore, or did I just get lucky with previous versions working my card?

Thanks for your reply

you can use both but I think it would be more preferrable if used ath5k.. ath5k may not need patching for bt4b but test it out first to see if it works.

No your the chipset in your card is still supported, its not old at all.