Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is BackTrack made?

Just burned his ISO

Default How is BackTrack made?

Is it just SLAX with hundreds of tools added on? Or is there more to it?

Because I was considering making my own "custom BackTrack" with a different OS if only the drivers/tools are the case so I don't need the extra hardware support and can maintain my own system (especially with the different OS choice).

Or is there more than just the hardware support/tools? Are there specialized scripts for everything that were written or something? Will just adding the tools onto another OS not do the same job as BackTrack would do? I just want to mimic BT but in a way I'm more comfortable with so I don't have all the extra unnecessary stuff for my system in particular. Also to add tools such as Nessus for my own private use on my own LiveCD, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sentralorigin View Post
    Is it just SLAX with hundreds of tools added on? Or is there more to it?

Because I was considering making my own "custom BackTrack" with a different OS if only the drivers/tools are the case so I don't need the extra hardware support and can maintain my own system (especially with the different OS choice).

Or is there more than just the hardware support/tools? Are there specialized scripts for everything that were written or something? Will just adding the tools onto another OS not do the same job as BackTrack would do? I just want to mimic BT but in a way I'm more comfortable with so I don't have all the extra unnecessary stuff for my system in particular.
    Prior versions of BackTrack were based on Slackware/Slax. BT4 is based on Ubuntu.

Many of the drivers are patched for injection.

There are a number special scripts.

There are also tools unique to this distro, such as Fast-Track.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Developer

Not to mention the entire kernel is specially built and has patches which are custom and may not be available.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Prior versions of BackTrack were based on Slackware/Slax. BT4 is based on Ubuntu.

Many of the drivers are patched for injection.

There are a number special scripts.

There are also tools unique to this distro, such as Fast-Track.
    I know how to patch my card for injection, so that's not a problem

What do most of the special scripts do? Can't I just copy those sources over if I need them? Can't I also copy Fast-Track over? Since I'm not going to distribute my copy or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Not to mention the entire kernel is specially built and has patches which are custom and may not be available.
    How much does the custom kernel affect BT? I build my own kernels too, but I can't really see how it might make or break the entire project

Well if you are confident that you can do it, go ahead and try it out
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Well if you are confident that you can do it, go ahead and try it out
    Feel free to give it a shot. I'm confused why all these people want to build their own distros and reinvent the wheel. At least once a week someone comes in here claiming they can do better. Maybe they have that kind of time on their hands but I dont.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Feel free to give it a shot. I'm confused why all these people want to build their own distros and reinvent the wheel. At least once a week someone comes in here claiming they can do better. Maybe they have that kind of time on their hands but I dont.
    Me neither, I am not missing anything critical with BT and I can also use apt-get or get the sources of tools I desperately need and add them.
    I appreciate the work done and provided to me free of charge at all.

@OP:
    If there is anything you are missing you could contribute to the community and add the feature instead of saying that you can do everything better.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

What's with the accusations? I never said I wanted to make BackTrack better. I want to make it for me, and myself only. I could probably shave off the boot time as well if I remove all the excess drivers and support I don't need for my hardware, but obviously you can't do that on BT because it's made for everybody, not just one person. Also you can't put Nessus on the LiveCD because they won't let you, and apt-get on a LiveCD won't work too well. I also want to change the Desktop Environment to something that I prefer, instead of KDE/Fluxbox because I'm more comfortable with something else. Why do you guys look down on personal customizations? Also, it's unnecessary to claim people of saying something they never did.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by sentralorigin View Post
    What's with the accusations? I never said I wanted to make BackTrack better. I want to make it for me, and myself only. I could probably shave off the boot time as well if I remove all the excess drivers and support I don't need for my hardware, but obviously you can't do that on BT because it's made for everybody, not just one person. Also you can't put Nessus on the LiveCD because they won't let you, and apt-get on a LiveCD won't work too well. I also want to change the Desktop Environment to something that I prefer, instead of KDE/Fluxbox because I'm more comfortable with something else. Why do you guys look down on personal customizations? Also, it's unnecessary to claim people of saying something they never did.
    Ok this contradicts what you originally said
    Because I was considering making my own "custom BackTrack" with a different OS
    This implies using fedora or something

Why do you guys look down on personal customizations
    I'm afraid changing the OS goes way beyond "personal customizations"

Theres nothing wrong with making some modifications and removing/adding stuff you need or dont need however thats not what you said in your original post.

Just burned his ISO

I was thinking of using Gentoo instead

I don't see what the contradiction is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast