Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: power level signal monitor

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default power level signal monitor

    I'm looking for tools able to capture power level signal (and noise level) from wlan antenna.
    If it's possible I need a value of power for each packet received and if it's possible I prefer some linkable with wireshark or kismet log files!

    Can you help me?

    many thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member streaker69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMrOrange View Post
    I'm looking for tools able to capture power level signal (and noise level) from wlan antenna.
    If it's possible I need a value of power for each packet received and if it's possible I prefer some linkable with wireshark or kismet log files!

    Can you help me?

    many thanks
    This will do most of what you want to do.

    http://www.wimax-industry.com/sp/bvs/yellowjacket.htm
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

  3. #3
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    This will do most of what you want to do.
    I'm really looking for a software free and open source for 802.11p.
    At the moment I have found information about AVS header that could be generated but I'm not sure my M5 drivers can generate it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member streaker69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMrOrange View Post
    I'm really looking for a software free and open source for 802.11p.
    At the moment I have found information about AVS header that could be generated but I'm not sure my M5 drivers can generate it.
    Oh well, you didn't specify that. I kind of have a headache today so my psychic powers are a little off.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMrOrange View Post
    I'm looking for tools able to capture power level signal (and noise level) from wlan antenna.
    If it's possible I need a value of power for each packet received and if it's possible I prefer some linkable with wireshark or kismet log files!

    Can you help me?

    many thanks
    Depending on the wireless driver you are using, you can specify BSD Radiotap Headers to be used on your interface (kismet will do this automatically), and then use wireshark to capture traffic on the interface. You can add a column to wireshark's screen to show the RSSI level of each packet received.

  6. #6
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    Depending on the wireless driver you are using, you can specify BSD Radiotap Headers to be used on your interface (kismet will do this automatically), and then use wireshark to capture traffic on the interface. You can add a column to wireshark's screen to show the RSSI level of each packet received.
    Now I knot that also wireshak can capture both Radiotap and AVS.
    When antennas arrive I'll try to see what kind of parameters drivers let me know about 802.11p transmitions!

    Can you tell me wich is best between Wireshark (tshark) and Kismet?
    I want to save CPU usage but Kismet GPS functions are vary useful if I'll be able to configure GPS receiver.
    Do you know if it's possible to add GPS information to wireshark?

  7. #7
    My life is this forum thorin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    For anyone else like me who hadn't read about 802.11p yet:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11p
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

    I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •