Thread: Persistent USB. Read only changes?

Just burned his ISO

Default Persistent USB. Read only changes?

Hi all, Ive scanned quite a few thread on persistent changes on a USB drive and things such as that, which are great, but what I'd really like is a combination of that and the read-only (known or at least assumed clean) install for when I drop into client networks.

Keeping up to date and keeping my changes, updates, etc, but allowing me to quickly boot into a read only mode that has all my settings intact. I guess this could be done by bundling the changes dir (from a seperate partition in this case) into an lzm, but seems like there should be a bit more elegant solution.

Thanks for any advice

Look at syslinux.cfg and it should be obvious from there.

Just burned his ISO

would that be adding ro after the changes directory?

syslinux.cfg contains a set of bootmodes which are written when you run bootinst.
    You edited this file when you added the part which tells it where changes should be saved.

Make another entry which has that part left out and run bootinst again.

Now when you boot you will have an extra menu option where you can choose to boot with or without changes.

Just burned his ISO

I am well aware of what syslinux.cfg does, don't let the low post count here fool you.

I don't think I was clear enough in what Im looking for. I currently have boot menu items that boot read only live style, as well as one that will save my changes.

What I want to have is another option to boot with my changes applied, but any changes made during that session to not be saved. As I said in the original post I'm sure this is possible with making lzm files and shuffling them to and from the modules directory, but was looking for a way to do this much simple with providing some magic directive to the bootloader.

Just burned his ISO

delete this post

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    syslinux.cfg contains a set of bootmodes which are written when you run bootinst.
    You edited this file when you added the part which tells it where changes should be saved.

Make another entry which has that part left out and run bootinst again.

Now when you boot you will have an extra menu option where you can choose to boot with or without changes.
    Whats the line I should add? I'm having troubles getting this working. It would be nice to have updates, and not have to worry about what i'm doing.