Thread: Max Partition size?

Default Max Partition size?

Hey,

I've read the instructions for installing BT on a HDD and I attempted it for several weeks a while ago. Now I'm ready to try again, my question is, is there a max size for partitions? If my memory serves me right, last time, I would get near the end, and I would receive a warning about the max partition size. I'll be trying again tonight, if anyone has any advice, please let me know. I'm trying to install on a 150GB HDD.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

150 GB should be no problem for a partition.

Else Google is your friend since it is a Linux related question/issue not BT
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

For overcoming the partition size problem lba32(Logical Block Addressing)& LFS is there & again depends on the FS type you are choosing like ext2 or ext3 or reiserfs system.these all have different capacity for partition size.like ext3 and ext3 have limit of 2TB-32TB while reiserfs is having 16TB.one very imp. thing for this to work LFS should be already enabled in kernel.

Well nowadays a partition of 150GB shouldn't pose any problem anymore if you are not using Windows 98 or alike.

Sure there are also limits but with the currently used FS there should be no issue with a partition of that size.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

starting from windows xp this problem addressed & solved.beyond the capacity of 137GB(LBA32) is well supported.I was referring in case of Linux not in windows.

I understood that. But a limit of 2-3 TB is way more than 150 GB.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

I do appoligise as I am not a Linux expert, My experience is limited to installing and running a Fedora system, (and Ubuntu long time ago). I was following the installation instructions from Offensive Security. Do I need to modify those in some way? (Note: This was not BT4, I may try that if suggested.) Here is a link to the relevant instructions I'm using: http://www.offensive-security.com/do...hd-install.pdf
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

If your only cp the files, you don't have to worry about size.