Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cain & Abel

Just burned his ISO

Default Cain & Abel

Is there a reason why Cain & Abel hasn't been included in previous versions? I mean it should work in WINE right? I'm sure anyone who's used it will agree that it is extremely easy and would make a good addition to BT. Maybe someone could talk to its creator and get a source code to convert?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaemelion View Post
    Is there a reason why Cain & Abel hasn't been included in previous versions? I mean it should work in WINE right? I'm sure anyone who's used it will agree that it is extremely easy and would make a good addition to BT.
    It's not included because it's a Windows program.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Then why is WINE installed? Sure, it's for windows, but it's a handy tool and if it can be made to work in BT, why not?

dont applications such as wireshark and ettercap which are actually made for linux do the same thing as cain and abel?
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Just burned his ISO

I'm not that familiar with ettercap... Wireshark has an advantage in the fact that you can actually see the packets, but it's much more complicated and Cain has MANY more features. So far, I haven't seen APR poison routing as simple and nice as Cain's ANYWHERE. Dude, if you haven't seen Cain, take a look at it

well id suggest to take a look at ettercap. i have used cain before and am not saying its a bad program in any way. but i dont think it will be added as there are many tools that are specifically made for linux that do the same thing and are in the install.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Developer

There are far more powerful tools in backtrack that Cain and Abel. Cain is a fine tool but it is a script kiddies wet dream. Every time I turn around at my school some moron is in the coffee area trying to arp poison the whole school LAN and grab somebody's facebook password or something. I'm such a d**k I have been know to hand out little lessons every now and then to those kids. The chances of that tool every being in backtrack are slim to none.

Chaemelion, wine can emulate only a subset of the win32 API and not all other windows components do to the Complexity and requirements it can not be ran on wine. I may suggest you install virtualbox or vmware player with windows an run it from there, C&A has to be one of the best tools for decoding voice traffic and breaking different sets of passwords, but for ARP and other stuff I do agree that there are better tools, I do differ in opinion from PureH@te, for me a tool is just a tool and I use it depending on the task at hand, Backtrack4 is great but is just a part of the toolset when doing a pentest, I find myself changing from Linux to Windows all the time to run different tools, I know of many good pentester that have at least 2 rigs one with backtrack another with XP for pentesting. Why use 3 or more tools to the job I need with when I can do it with one,faster and simpler?

Developer

BadKarmaPR, I agree with you and I use windows at times myself. I guess what I mean is that sometimes the ease of availability and the ease of use of some of these tools is disturbing to me.

Bro it is to all of us!!, I think hard and long before I send a Meterpreter Script for commitment in to MSF3 and release some of my tools since I know the use that some kid or who knows who is going to use it for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast