Thread: Wireless Card Mode will not change from monitor to managed!!

Just burned his ISO

Default Wireless Card Mode will not change from monitor to managed!!

Hello! I'm brand new to the forum but I have been reading endless topics and threads. I have done a lot of research on my problem, not only on the forum but I have googled and visited many websites. Yet I still have not came to a solution! So this is my last resort to ask for help from experienced users.

I am running Backtrack 4 Beta via CD-Rom. Now I learned how to crack my WEP wireless network and was very pleased! Next I tried to learn how to sniff with WireShark and proceeded to put my wireless card into monitor mode which I had successfully done. Now I am trying to get it back into Managed mode and I can do that, only it refuses to permanently stay!

I'm using a built in broadcom card until I can buy a better one. I have used 'iwconfig' and 'ifconfig'. Why am I able to change it to Managed mode but I open a new Konsol shell and i check with 'iwconfig' and it then says it's back into monitor mode! I am so frustrated with the issue. I've tried command after command. Website after website and still no positive solution!

Also I can only put it into Managed mode if I first put in 'ifconfig wlan0 down' if I don't do that first then It will give me an error. Please I have done my research so don't bash me. I am looking for constructive replies to move on and learn! Thank you

try:
    airmon-ng stop wlan0
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Just burned his ISO

Smile

Okay! Thanks this worked. Or at least I think it did. It allowed me to proceed to crack my WEP again on a second run. Previously I had trouble because it was saying my interface was on a different channel than the AP. So this time it worked. Now once I finished...I do a iwconfig and it shows monitor mode.

Does 'airodump' or 'aireplay' convert the wireless card into monitor mode? Is this why I am thinking it will not change?

I've googled many times only I am lead to tutorials about putting the wireless card in to monitor mode and I know how to put it in different modes. Thanks again!

Just burned his ISO

If you want to use a certain channel it would be "airmon-ng start 'lanID' 'channel #' "
    But if you are running airodump-ng you have to specify a channel also with the "-c 'channel #' " option...if not airodump-ng will keep changing you channel with each scan...and is you are trying to run aireplay-ng simultaneously it will not work unless you specify the channel in airodumg-ng

sometimes removing and reloading the module works.