Thread: BT4 Boot CD and a Dell 1764 with a DELL 1520 wireless card

Just burned his ISO

Default BT4 Boot CD and a Dell 1764 with a DELL 1520 wireless card

Hello ,,,,,

And, thanks for your time, help, and advice!!!!

BACKTRACK 4 ISO was downloaded (bt4-final.iso) and a bootable CD was created.

Once booted it runs as expected. However, We are all NEWBIEs to the BackTrack environments. No UNIX/LINUX/etc. have been used that have become available for these for probably 15 years or more. After looking at the BACKTRACK 4 SHELL and using HELP we see a lot of stuff recognized and a lot that has been added (airmon-ng,,,,,,etc.).

We are Using a DELL Inspiron 1764 Laptop computer with WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM.

This Laptop computer came with the following wireless card:

BOARD: DELL Wireless 1520 Wireless-N WLAN mini card rev 2.02
    CHIPSET: BCM4353/BCMb2056000
    Manufacturer: BROADCOM

And, the card is working as expected with the Windows 7 and our Netopia DSL modem GATEWAY with WIRELESS. The wireless in the Netopia Gateway is set to use WPA/PKA security PASSPHRASE and silent SSID.

BACKTRACK 4 is BOOTED from the CD and the default START is used:

Running 'airmon-ng' produces the following:

root@bt:airmon-ng
    Interface Chipset Driver
    eth1 Unknown wl

Then running 'airmon-ng start eth1' produces the following:
    root@bt:airmon-ng start eth1

Interface Chipset Driver
    eth1 Unknown wl (monitor mode enabled)

So far so good,,,,,

But, when the "airodump-ng eth1" is run it produces the following message:

root@bt:airodump-ng eth1
    ioctl(SIOCSIWMODE) failed: Invalid argument

ARP linktype is set to 1 (Ethernet) - expected ARPHRD_IEEE80211,
    ARPHRD_IEEE80211_FULL or ARPHRD_IEEE80211_PRISM instead. Make
    sure RFMON is enabled: run 'airmon-ng start eth1 <#>'
    Sysfs injection support was not found either.

root@bt:

Rebooting using other START options relative to BACKTRACK produced the same outputs.

This looks like the card needs to be set for INSERT/INJECTION MODE(????). Based on being NEWBIEs and looking at several HELP on air*.* stuff, we are stuck on what to do or which air*.* or etc. to run that would help.

After going to the BROADCOM web page it seems the above reported CHIPSET of BCM4353/BCMb2056000 is not listed on their site even in current or legacy product listings. Also, with google searches it could not be found if this Wireless card/chipset can be set to MONITOR Mode and/or Insert MODE or has an updated driver that does these settings?????? Other google searches relative to this wireless card was not successful to find anything related. Looks as if either DELL or Broadcom needs to advise relative to Monitor/Injection modes for this wireless card??????

Any advice would be GREAT .

And, THANKS for your time, help, and advice!!!!!

jglong3

Hello ,,,,

A reply from DELL mentions the following:

",,,,,,,the Wireless Card installed in your system is not capable of Monitor and Insert/ Injection Modes
    in Networking."

And, based on what we undertand these are required Modes for BT4 and etc. type environments.

Do we have the correct understanding related to Monitor/Injection modes and if so thanks for your time to confirm and/or your correction of our understanding???

If so, looks like it's time for a USB Wireless---------and if that is the case what would be a good selection????

THANKS for your time, help, and advice!!!!

jglong3
    Last edited by balding_parrot; 03-03-2010 at 04:18 AM.

Default Re: BT4 Boot CD and a Dell 1764 with a DELL 1520 wireless card

Quote Originally Posted by jglong3 View Post
    Hello ,,,,

A reply from DELL mentions the following:

",,,,,,,the Wireless Card installed in your system is not capable of Monitor and Insert/ Injection Modes
    in Networking."

And, based on what we undertand these are required Modes for BT4 and etc. type environments.

Do we have the correct understanding related to Monitor/Injection modes and if so thanks for your time to confirm and/or your correction of our understanding???
    The question of whether those modes are required depends on what you want to do. They are not required for browsing the Internet, but they are required for certain wireless cracking activities. This iste has

If so, looks like it's time for a USB Wireless---------and if that is the case what would be a good selection????
    That is the million dollar question. (As in, I would have a million dollars if I got a dollar for every time that question was asked.) Expect a FAQ on this just as soon as we come up with the best method to present it.

In the meantime:
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...cl-thread.html
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...less-card.html
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum....html#post5059

faq [Aircrack-ng]
    compatibility_drivers [Aircrack-ng]
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Hello lupin,,,,, and others

THANKS for the REPLY!!!!

That was a big help!!!

The question of whether those modes are required depends on what you want to do. They are not required for browsing the Internet, but they are required for certain wireless cracking activities. This iste has

The last phrase in the above quote looks incomplete: "This iste has,,,," Did you mean for it to be there????

In this case BT4, etc. type environments for wireless cracking activities are to be used related to inhouse security to demonstrate why it is important to use a good PASSPHRASE and/or USERNAMES/PASSWORDS.

We should have mentioned that based on what was found with BT4 airmon-ng and airodump-ng, should this wireless 1520 card be described in the BackTrack HCL list. Searches for "1520" , "BroadCom", etc. in BackTrack and Google were not good enough to find any related article.

But before we do and even if DELL Support says no Monitor/Inject modes for the 1520, BROADCOM is now being contacted to see if thes chips are impossible to go Monitor/Inject modes or is there a driver available to allow these settings. Plus, based on being new to the BT4 AIR*.* commands we wanted to feel comfortable that the correct interpretations were being made.

That is the million dollar question. (As in, I would have a million dollars if I got a dollar for every time that question was asked.) Expect a FAQ on this just as soon as we come up with the best method to present it.

Sorry, we should have asked for some links that provided some insight about which USB card and you provided those links ----THANK YOU!! Actually we understand the implications of such an open ended and potentially liable type question.

THANKS for your time, help, and advice!!!

jglong3
    Last edited by jglong3; 03-02-2010 at 07:53 PM.

The last phrase in the above quote looks imcomplete: "This iste has,,,," Did you mean for it to be there????
    Dinner was ready halfway through writing that and I got distracted

This was the site I was going to link to. Lots of information about wireless cracking....
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

I to have the same laptop. It runs a Broadcom BCM943224hms wireless adapter aka the dell 1520card. Everyone is right and it can't be used at the moment for monitor mode or injection. I just ordered an edimax usb wlan and ill let you know how it works.

Just burned his ISO

Hello lupin and others,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Dinner was ready halfway through writing that and I got distracted

This URL="http://www.aircrack-ng.org/" was the site I was going to link to. Lots of information about wireless cracking....

OK,,,,,,,as well as me,,,,,too many times.
    The link provided was GREAT----THANKS.....

And for each forum we review we see you are participating as a moderator in (all) these forums,,,,,and we THANK you for your time and advice!!!

jglong3

Hello anthonykash and others,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykash View Post
    I to have the same laptop. It runs a Broadcom BCM943224hms wireless adapter aka the dell 1520card. Everyone is right and it can't be used at the moment for monitor mode or injection. I just ordered an edimax usb wlan and ill let you know how it works.

We know it is possible that many cards/devices that display the same name may have internal chip (firmware as well as hardware) differences.

In our case this 1764 DELL lists the 1520 as chipset:

BCM4353/BCMb2056000

via "CONTROL PANEL>NETWORK and INTERNET then poke on the "DELL WIRELESS WLAN UTILITY CARD "
    and select the TAB for "INFORMATION".

But, yours is a "Broadcom BCM943224hms wireless adapter aka the dell 1520card" ??????

Wonder what the differences are (SPECS, Documentation, etc.)?????

And, in our case Device Manager and PROPERTIES for our "Dell Wireless 1520 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card" , the following is a short list for

some of the TAB selection for "DETAILS" relative to this 1520:

DEVICE DESCRIPTION:

Dell Wireless 1520 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card

MANUFACTURERR:

BROADCOM

DEVICE INSTANCE PATH:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4353&SUBSYS_000E1028&REV_01\4&E87 2D9D&0&00E1

DRIVER ASSEMBLY DESCRIPTION:

Dell Wireless 1520 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card

INF SECTION:

BCM1520M_NT61

PROVIDER:

BROADCOM

Etc.......

THANKS FOR THIS REPLY AND INPUT ,,,,,,At this time we do not have a reply from BROADCOM ,,,, the question was sent in 3/1/2010.

The question to BROADCOM--------------------
    The chipset in my wireless card says they are manufactured by BROADCOM.
    Chipset is: BCM4353/BCMb2056000

Can these be set to MONITOR and INJECT modes???

If so what driver is required for:
    Windows 7 and Linux
    jglong3
    Last edited by balding_parrot; 03-03-2010 at 04:16 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Re: BT4 Boot CD and a Dell 1764 with a DELL 1520 wireless card

I have the same card 14e4:4353 and I've been wrestling to get it up for sometime now. Works fine with the Broadcom STA drivers in Ubuntu 9.10 and openSUSE. Haven't been able to get it to work on BT4. I'm trying with b43-fwcutter on BT4 for the monitor/injection mode support and so far no progress.

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Re: BT4 Boot CD and a Dell 1764 with a DELL 1520 wireless card

Hi,

I'm facing problems with the exact same card. Works fine with Broadcom STA drivers in Ubuntu and openSUSE, but couldn't get it to run the b43 drivers (monitor/injection mode). Any help pointers in this regard are highly appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

Hello,,,,,

Sorry it has taken this long to respond,,,,,

A USB ALPHA AWUS036H with the RTL8187L Chipset was ordered.

It has been installed and it works as expected using either the BACKTRACK cd boot or the VMware Player on this Dell Inspirion 1764 running Windows 7 Home Premium. Other comments on the BACKTRACK forums mention this USB Wireless with GREAT praise about the performance and range and we found these to be true.

At this time there has been no response from BROADCOM. The only reply recieved was from DELL which defines that the DELL wireless 1520 cannot be placed in INJECTION MODE, as well as the other problem(s) defined in the BACKTRACK FAQ's related to an internal wireless adapter .vs. a USB type wireless. And, as a result prevents the use of the Dell 1520 from either a BACKTRACK boot cd or from VMware Player with respect to airodump-ng, aireplay-ng, aircrack-ng, and possible other air crack type applications/executables.

The Dell 1520 Wireless is not detected when running VMware Player and BT4. Unless we are not using these correctly the 1520 is not listed by airmon-ng, iwconfig, ifconfig. However, using a BT4 boot cd the 1520 is detected and can be used and the details have been reported to the Hardware Compatibility Forum relative to a Netopia Wireless/Gateway AP.

We think this THREAD can be closed,,,,,We looked for a selection to CLOSE this thread but could not find one.

THANKS for your time, help, and views!!!!

jglong3
    Last edited by jglong3; 03-29-2010 at 11:37 PM.

Just burned his ISO

I am getting following out put with my Broadcom 4353 wireless card.

Tell me how to resolve this.

root@bt:~#
    root@bt:~# airodump-ng eth1
    ioctl(SIOCSIWMODE) failed: Invalid argument

ARP linktype is set to 1 (Ethernet) - expected ARPHRD_IEEE80211,
    ARPHRD_IEEE80211_FULL or ARPHRD_IEEE80211_PRISM instead. Make
    sure RFMON is enabled: run 'airmon-ng start eth1 <#>'
    Sysfs injection support was not found either.

root@bt:~#

Thanks