Thread: Need some guidence please

Just burned his ISO

Default Need some guidence please

Whats up forum

I'm a student just finished my dual diploma networking/Sys admin hopefully starting adv. diploma in netsec next month spent a lot of time on GNS3 and packet tracer recently and wanted to gain a better understanding of the processes of hacking that i'm trying so hard to protect against.

right now i have a basic understanding of Linux as Cisco ios is unix based my android phone is linux based and i have taken linux classes (red hat) mainly basic stuff like useing telnet ftp and apache.

so really only starting to learn linux been doing a lot of python tutorials as i believe have some basic programming skills fundamental to using any pc to it's full power and love tutorials that reference Monty Python so much awesome.

anyway i'm asking if there are any good tutorial on how to utilize backtrack to it's full potential i've watch a bunch of video's on breaking WEP and WPA but that's why reporting and logging is so good just because there is a security hole in a standard doesn't mean you can't see someone trying to exploit it. i'm more so looking at people trying to exploit mainly cisco equipment (will be venturing into Juniper and H3C later this year) from a social engineers stand point as it's easy to see when a person is trying to hack a wireless AP.

also wondering if there is a way of running backtrack within network simulation environment or if i should be booking some time in my schools networking rooms to test this (will be doing anyway but if i can run it in simulation it will make it easy to prioritize my time).

also love to find out if there are any exploits for HP's Tipping point as my dad works for HP and is bragging about all these great features and i would love to get my hands on some exploits to rub in his face that it's not the best thing ever ever.

if anyone could help or point me in the right direction it would be great as i love what this software is designed for as it will keep me in a job for years to come.

Default Re: Need some guidence please

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty3 View Post
    right now i have a basic understanding of Linux as Cisco ios is unix based my android phone is linux based and i have taken linux classes (red hat) mainly basic stuff like useing telnet ftp and apache.
    My experience of Cisco IOS and Linux is that they are pretty different. You definitely want to spend time with a normal Linux distro like Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Suse, Gentoo, etc before using BackTrack if you are not already familiar with using the Linux command line...

anyway i'm asking if there are any good tutorial on how to utilize backtrack to it's full potential i've watch a bunch of video's on breaking WEP and WPA but that's why reporting and logging is so good just because there is a security hole in a standard doesn't mean you can't see someone trying to exploit it. i'm more so looking at people trying to exploit mainly cisco equipment (will be venturing into Juniper and H3C later this year) from a social engineers stand point as it's easy to see when a person is trying to hack a wireless AP.
    There are lots of tutorials right here at the forum.

also wondering if there is a way of running backtrack within network simulation environment or if i should be booking some time in my schools networking rooms to test this (will be doing anyway but if i can run it in simulation it will make it easy to prioritize my time).
    Plenty of ways to do this. Try setting up a small lab using spare equipment you have laying around and make use of virtualisation.

also love to find out if there are any exploits for HP's Tipping point as my dad works for HP and is bragging about all these great features and i would love to get my hands on some exploits to rub in his face that it's not the best thing ever ever.
    Visit exploit-db and do a search.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Default Re: Need some guidence please

I have a couple of GNS3 tuts in the howto section, but starting here may help
    Last edited by iproute; 01-06-2011 at 07:50 AM.