Thread: Enquiry about decrypt wep data packet

Default Enquiry about decrypt wep data packet

Hi! I find the wep key and decrypt the captured data... I try to use wireshark to view it, but the content in the "data" field are just "jh83asfs@^#Hefdfjbwfns" something like that. Is it possible to view the data so I can extract useful information, for example, username and password?

***I am using my own network for testing***

Just burned his ISO

Pretty sure WEP packets are encrypted.

And yes "Your own network"... Sure..

Anyways, try here, old thread but maybe it'll help?

hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=6520

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by charlescywong View Post
    Hi! I find the wep key and decrypt the captured data... I try to use wireshark to view it, but the content in the "data" field are just "jh83asfs@^#Hefdfjbwfns" something like that. Is it possible to view the data so I can extract useful information, for example, username and password?

***I am using my own network for testing***
    Did you connect to the access point using the wep key you broke? If so you're going to have conduct a man in the middle attack in order to see unencrypted data. (ARP Poisoning SSL spoofing etc) In most cases sensitive data like passwords and user name's are encrypted either by your router or by the server that the target is connecting to. Make sure when you arp poison that you spoof the router and not the host youre trying to target. This way all the traffic that the target sends is passed to you first unencrypted unless of course they are using a tunneling method like ssh tunnel.

You could use ettercap, but wireshark will do it anyway.
    http://wiki.wireshark.org/HowToDecrypt802.11

Airtun-ng if you want to send the decrypted data to a virtual interface.
    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=airtun-ng

Airdecap-ng if its a captured file.
    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=airdecap-ng
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

Albert Einstein

Thanks! Everyone!

If you have discovered the WEP key and you want to decrypt previously captured traffic, you can put that key in wireshark and it will decrypt the traffic. Go to Edit > Preferences > Protocols > IEEE 802.11 and enter the key information.

The data will then be rendered as unencrypted.